SBP Exhaust Mount

GoldenMotor.com

Pitchfork311

Apr 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Anyone got Ideas for sealing the exhaust header to the copper flange to the engine block?

I keep having issues with oil squirting out.

I got a SBP expansion chamber and a manic copper washer. Initially I made an angle that warped around the mount which eliminated a lot of the problem, however, I still get some spray

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Re: Exhaust Mount

Oil spray? What oil mix ratio are you runnin'?

Exhaust leak I could see with that setup - mind you I like it, but I'd imagine you'd need to fab a one-piece steel header for that arrangement... perhaps tuck it a bit more in and down? I'm not sure where it's leaking from the pics - but without the springs attached there's nothing holding it together but the hi temp silicone hose... of which mebbe you need another piece of for a segment that's uncovered?

Ghost0 is around frequently and seems to love questions like this - I'll add "SBP" to the title so he'll be sure to see it ;)

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
You rang?

OK just a couple of things when dealing with either the SBP aluminum gasket or the Manic Copper gasket. Yes both copper and aluminum are soft and can conform to some irregularity but they cannot seal without smooth mating surfaces. Both the exhaust header and engine port mating surfaces have to be smooth and flat. If you don't want to take the time to remove the exhaust port studs and file everything down flat then you can use some hi temp RTV to seal it up. That should solve your problem.

Pitchfork311

Apr 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Like I said, that was an old pic, I hve not used that set up in about 6 months. Here is a current pic, I have added channels to help block the oil spray. She runs really well, lots of power, just have an oil spray issue, have ruined lots of jeans and shoes before learning to wear one pair when riding, they are getting pretty nasty

Attachments

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
time to smooth out and sand both mating sufaces,the engine exhaust hole surface and the flange of the exhaust both need to be flat and replace with a new quality gasket if you need too.

im using homemade paper or cork gaskets,sometimes 2 at a time,i have 2 large rolls of gasket material,they were very cheap,like $2-3 a roll,enough to make hundreds of gaskets. i replace them every once in a while,but i have lots.

Last edited:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Even with just a little oil in the exhaust that bend would act like a trap in a sink and collect it. The exhaust blowing through a pool of oil could cause trouble.