Need Help Choosing Kit

GoldenMotor.com

big-al

Oct 25, 2009
florida
I'm looking to buy a JAPANESE motor kit that I can mount on a bike. I want something that will be reliable, and not that expensive.

Any suggestions? Sorry for not giving more details, but I'm still new to the whole thing...

Thanks!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
There are as many answers to this question as there are members of this site.
Are you looking for an in frame type or above the rear wheel type?
In frame: EZ MOTORBIKE COMPANY
Also: 50cc Complete Gas Powered Engine Kit (Honda) - $499.99

Above the rear wheel: Complete Rear Mount Engine Kit (Honda) - $569.99

Also: Motorized Bicycles Detail Page
Also: Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More

These are the most common ones I have found. All are of good quality and value.
Personal opinions vary depending on what one expects out of a kit.
Hang out for awhile, read up on your options. There are many more I have not listed.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself section?
Introduce Yourself - Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum at Motorized Bicycle Forum
BTW, Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

big-al

Oct 25, 2009
florida
$500 is way out of my price range...

Is there anything I can get for $200 or under?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
200.00 and under? No. That's the realm of Chinese 2-strokes.
Which is a completely viable engine option btw - a "cheap" knock-off 4 stroke or a cheap'o 2smoker? I'd bet of the two the 2 stroke would be a bit more reliable, if just easier to fix ;)

SeanKuykendall

Sep 27, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
My advice would be be a Scooter Guy set up, it will accept different engines(4stroke and 2 stroke) I would recommend the Dax Titan or a Subaru Robin 4 stroke. The whole set up will cost ya about 425.00 but will last ya and will utilize your bikes shifting ability and will give you more riding options. I would avoid the 2 strokes that sell from 100-200 bucks, TRUST me they are not worth the packaging they come in. You will break down and you will fix the problem and you will break down again and again and so on!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That's not inherently true SeanKuykendall, what is true is that the cheaper the kit - the more attention needs to be "paid" in exchange, particularly when installing the kit. The four strokes are no more exempt from this truism than the two strokes.

It's a simple matter of where you want to "spend" - the initial outlay of cash? Or investing a lil more time and effort making sure everything is right yourself and upgrading a coupla parts?

For the money big-al is talkin' about I wouldn't dream of tryin' for a four stroke - while there might be something available, in THAT price range I bet a four stroke would be a nightmare, whereas he could get a "top of the line" 2smoker from Dax or whomever and just pay a lil attention to it's installation and break in period.

There are many on this forum that have thousands of miles on the 2smokers, once past the initial "dialing in" and minor upgrades - mine has been wonderfully reliable as an example.

Too many people think of any/all of these kits as "plug and play" and simply put - they aren't. Ya gotta pay somewhere and two/four stroke aside - to save money you gotta spend time ;)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have to agree BA. When I switched to the 4 smokers, I was elated. But the GB broke down over and over. While the engine it self works flawlessly, it was constantly down while the BGF 2 stroke would start and run every time. Though after a couple of yrs, a lil tuff but was an easy fix. I do prefer the vibs and sounds of the 4, but love the simple and amazingly dependable china girls. A 70cc from Dax (who really backs you up) is a really good deal $109. Also check out the swap shop section. Some great stuff and some times you get lucky. There are some trannys coming out soon (including my own) EZM and Firebelly and folks have had the Grubees for trouble free yrs. But under $200, I would only look at the china girls. As BA said, might get a great deal on a really cool door stop. Just my 2 cents.