50 MPH Club

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
Today, on a long empty slightly downhill stratch of road, I hit 50.4 mph in 7th gear (according to my schwinn speedo)

I don't plan on doing this again.

How many others here have topped that mark?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Down Hill Doesn't Count!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My bike goes 200 MPH when I throw it off a cliff...
You're only in the over 40 club with the rest of us!laff

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
there's a bunch of threads about how fast people have gone. i'm not doubting you outright, because i've gone fast, too, but as the saying goes, without proof, it didn't happen.

the rpm's needed to spin the chinee motor up to 50 is almost impossible, without extensive (and expensive) mods.

everyone's waiting for someone to show undeniable proof of 50 (or 40, for that matter) and so far, there's been none.

plus, the general consensus here, is straightway speed, level ground. down hill doesn't count.

my brother had a Hutch HPV "superbike" (google it) and we could hit 50 on a straightaway with no motor, and that's fast. scary fast. i mean, eye-watering, bone-jarring, death-fast on a bicycle. nothing on a regular bicycle is designed to go that fast, and it shows when you start hitting 30+ on a beach cruiser.

and i'll ask first, because everyone else will sonner or later, "what kind of bike? what kind of mods, how'd you calibrate your speedo...etc..."

as i said, i'm not calling b.s. on you outright, but others will, and i'm just giving you a heads up...

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
Lol, its not that important!!!

I have a schwinn speedo from walmart. I have not checked it with a car, so it may have been off a bit on 50, but I will GUARANTEE that I hit 40 on a flat. I ride with traffic on almost every ride on a busy road that has a speed limit of 35, and most people drive 40+. I take off faster than all of the cars that are driving normally, and I can take the lane because I match their legal speed with no problem ( I could use a bit more acceleration between 20 and 35, and long uphills aren't nice either)

FYI, I have a schwinn Ranger mountain bike, with a 68cc motor and a jackshaft shift kit.

Again, its not as important to me as it seems to be to you, I was just sharing. But if you want to feel what I feel, you go get yourself a schwinn ranger with a 68cc motor and a shift kit too! ;)

caprirs302

Jul 6, 2009
Home
Down Hill Doesn't Count!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My bike goes 200 MPH when I throw it off a cliff...
You're only in the over 40 club with the rest of us!laff
Yes it does count!!!! I was only mentioning the speed that I was travelling, not bragging that it was the motor that got me up to that speed.

And, to be more precise, your motorcycle would hit its terminal velocity at about 120 mph if your chucked it over a cliff.....

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I don't understand all the talk about 40 mph or 50 mph. These are bicycles, who gives a ****.

If you want to go fast why not just buy a motorcycle? I have had six motorcycles and these are just a novelty or hobby for me.

John

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if he threw it hard enough, it could reach 200mph. terminal velocity only counts when an object is falling, not when there's a force accelerating it from behind.

and if you want to be "precise" about it, you need to factor in the mass, the drag coefficient, density, gravity, cross-sectional area...

you can't just eyeball a schwinn cruiser with an aluminum anchor bolted in the frame and make a guess. (winky face)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Yes it does count!!!! I was only mentioning the speed that I was travelling, not bragging that it was the motor that got me up to that speed.

Nope, it doesn't count when talking about MB top speed. People on unmotored road bikes have gone 60+ down hill!! So your going 50 down hill isn't a great achivement.

There have been several big arguments in several other threads about peoples claims of top speed... If you had read them first, you would understand our responses to your thread.

We don't mean to rip on you bro, it's just that peoples claims of top speed have become a bit of a sore subject around here.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We've been here, we've read it, replied to it and it is an old subject. Let's move on, or as Joe would say...
"Say good night, Gracie".

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
darn I was going to say I slept at a holiday inn last night. the room went over 50 mph. or was it $50.00? I don't know!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.