fuel tank thread untapped

GoldenMotor.com

dalek4615

Aug 13, 2009
australia
Just want to know if anyone else has had the trouble of screwing the new fuel tap into an apparently tapped outlet on the tank. My bad i should have checked it. Anyway took it to work and tapped it out BLA BLA BLA. Does everyone use plumbing tape on the thread or is there another product which is better?

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
Those Sick Bike Fuel Valves is the only way to go if you want something that does what it should with a full fuel line of gas no air.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Just want to know if anyone else has had the trouble of screwing the new fuel tap into an apparently tapped outlet on the tank. My bad i should have checked it. Anyway took it to work and tapped it out BLA BLA BLA. Does everyone use plumbing tape on the thread or is there another product which is better?
I had a tank where the paint overspray made it so I could not get it to thread on. Like you I just tapped it.

Are you dale k. or a Dr. Who fan who knows about daleks?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just use the gasoline resistant thread sealer available at most well stocked good hardware stores - it's what we used for hundreds of fuel valve assemblies. Works great. Teflon tape is a PITA, and not all that fuel resistant.

SBP FUEL VALVE
Pablo gives good advice on this one. Gasoline resistant thread sealer in conjunction with the gasket that comes with the kit supplied petcock is a good bet.
I'll repeat something here that I've posted often. Teflon tape is NOT a thread sealer. It is intended as a thread lubricant for pipe (tapered) threads. As a pipe thread is tightened it more or less binds and seals itself due to the taper. Teflon tape acts as a lubricant to allow a tighter fit. It does not seal. If you've stopped a leak with teflon tape it was because it bunched up around the top of the threads and took up some space becoming a gasket of sorts. There are liquid teflon thread sealers that serve two purposes, to lube and seal. Tape is a joke for machine threads as found on the tanks and petcocks of most Chinese kits.
Tom