good idea or bad one

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I was thinking of doing a cafe racer. I have a long Schwinn hurricane seat but an Idea just came to me....would this work or would it be stupid

I can easily make a seat out of plywood and foam and cover it with some vinyl I have laying around.
Everything would be bolted with grade 8 bolts. Has anyone done this or is it just stupid and dangerous?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Don't see why it won't work,just mount it more solid so it won't sway back side ways after time. Maybe cross Xing.............Curt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Could you show us some closeups of your attach points? That would help us see the important details.

As long as it is properly secured there's no reason it wouldn't work as a seat frame. Sure has potential. Looks cool.

Tom

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I agree, it could work out really well for you as long as you secure everything properly... Welding it all together would be ideal if you can weld, but with the right bracket work you could get it all mounted nice and solid with nuts and bolts.

cooperDG123

Apr 16, 2012
cali
This the start of a seat I made a while back out of fiberglass for a project. If you go through with this I think you'd have fun making one out off glass I learned a lot and had fun.

Attachments

cooperDG123

Apr 16, 2012
cali
How sturdy is the fiberglass? I've seen these before but I've never made one
It's plenty strong and rigid too. For mine I used from fleece like material stretch over a form soaked in fiberglass. Then went back over the inside with fiberglass mat.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Here's mine on my race bike.

Cut and welded the pan out of thin sheet metal, glued a mouse pad for the cover, welded the struts to the frame (which have a flat bar welded across the top,) and the seatpost has a flat bar welded to it so the pan bolts on.

The back speed hump will bend if you put weight on it, but the seat area has a folded lip so it's strong enough for my 135lbs of pure muscle.

Not comfortable at all for cruising, but I don't notice when in my leathers at the track.

Attachments

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I've been saying this for years, the tank makes the bike...that's a great tank. was it made with the process we previously discussed? I've got to gather my supplies to make my tank shroud. Hopefully my bike will look as good as it runs

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The tank is from a Yamaha MX-80. Sort of a kid's dirt bike. I'm lucky to have a motorcycle salvage yard near me that has an amazing selection of motorcycle parts and shelves of fuel tanks to choose from. You might want to check your local listings for one near you. I'm sure a city the size of St. Louis would have at least one.

If you're going for the cafe racer look the bigger the tank the more it will have that style.
Cafes usually had massive fuel tanks.

Tom

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
. I'm sure a city the size of St. Louis would have at least one.
Tom[/QUOTE]

We have one that I know of but it's in the worst neighborhood in a city full of bad neighborhoods. Maybe a big dude on a motorcycle would be fine there but a nerdy middle age guy in a minivan could get into trouble.
Or at lest be less one minivan