SBP Head Stud Kit

GoldenMotor.com

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
So the other weed I went for a ride and I noticed loosing compression in my top end so I took my bike into the garage and attempted to tighten the head down a little more and it starting un-tightening the bolt from the crankcase, When It came out fully the thread was screwed and sheered off. So I had a look online to see where I can buy replacement head bolts and I found the stud kit on SBP but the only problem is that is the only replacement I found and its $80 shipping + $10 for the actual product, So my question is where else can I buy Head Bolts/Studs for my bike! I haven't rode it in about a week and its killing me :(

auflg :-||

Last edited:

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
So the other weed I went for a ride and I noticed loosing compression in my top end so I took my bike into the garage and attempted to tighten the head down a little more and it starting un-tightening the bolt from the crankcase, When It came out fully the thread was screwed and sheered off. So I had a look online to see where I can buy replacement head bolts and I found the stud kit on SBP but the only problem is that is the only replacement I found and its $80 shipping + $10 for the actual product, So my question is where else can I buy Head Bolts/Studs for my bike! I haven't rode it in about a week and its killing me :(

Get a threaded rod of the same bolt pattern from Home Depot, lowes, or ace and just cut it to length, you may need to clean up the threads were you cut though. If not you should be able to find the stock replacement studs for much less.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You'll probably find that the stud isn't the problem but the threads in the engine case are stripped due to over tightening them. You need to invest in a torque wrench and do not exceed the recommended 120 to 140 inch pound torque value.

Before you order new studs remove the cylinder and inspect the case for damaged threads. There is a lot of information here on methods to repair them. Use the search feature to see what others have done to remedy the problem. Helicoils and oversized studs are common fixes.

Tom

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
So I had a look online to see where I can buy replacement head bolts and I found the stud kit on SBP but the only problem is that is the only replacement I found and its $80 shipping + $10 for the actual product,
rest easy, mate. I have been in contact with SBP LLC yesterday and they have said there was an error in there shipping calculator.

So check back now.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
You'll probably find that the stud isn't the problem but the threads in the engine case are stripped due to over tightening them. You need to invest in a torque wrench and do not exceed the recommended 120 to 140 inch pound torque value.

Tom

I agree that overtightening could be the issue, but he mentioned they were sheared off. the head studs are 112mm long, check the link in my signature for lengths. M6 bolts are for 48cc motors, 66cc use M8, sometimes 1.0 pitch (spacing between the threads in mm), but usually the standard 1.25 pitch is used.

However maybe I'm a rare case, but I dont think stripping theads is an issue, when I overtightened my head bolt, it drove into the case and scraping the crank causing sparks to shoot out my exhaust at high speeds, THANKFULLY, no damage occurred to the cylinder.