Finally not so lonely!

GoldenMotor.com

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Wow! How awesome this is to find a place where I belong! I am new to motorized bicycles, as a matter of fact mine will hopefully be finished this week! Yes I am a woman and Yes I have been building this by myself! I love working on it and getting my hands dirty! I only hope that the first start up is successful!! I had seen my first motorized bike when I was younger and fell in love, now that I'm an adult ...lol... :p.. I realized, I can do whatever I want! And I want one of these.. so I researched them for a month reading up, watching videos and packing my brain of info. About 3 weeks ago I bought a bike! Then the motor came and I have been putting it together and building for about 5 days now... Yes that long #1 can't work on it til I was done working and #2 ran into a couple of problems which were figured out. I am 90 % finished with her and am excited!! Again just hope the first start goes smooth!! Well any who I am happy to finally find a place that I belong and all of you won't atleast think I'm crazy like all my friends think I am!! Finally not alone! Thanks!!

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Looks great, is the carburator gonna fit? Looks close to the seat tube, like the engine needs to be angled more forward? And theres no reason women cant do this kinda thing.

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo

WOW!!! Good eye man! Yes it had to be moved found this out the other day!! Here is the pic of it installed the other day. I take a pic of every little step I do..lol :p She is almost finished! I got the carb, throttle, coil, and chain attached, also. Good eye man! I laughed when it came to putting it on and I reached up and noticed it.. Awww man I'm gunna have to move the Damn engine! Girl mistake #1! LOL :p

dwsutton

Jul 16, 2008
Looks really nice. I like the red / black combo. Your rear sprocket could be reversed if needed. The indentation was to make the chain ride closer to the spokes. If you have no alignment problems with the dive chain to motor then don't change it. :) Great job !

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo

Just thought I would post a pic of myself.. I like a face with a name.. and a pic of what she looks like so far.. still have exhaust to do I have to bend it some in order for it to not hit the pedals. The chain sproket I placed that way cause the chain will hit against my tire if I don't so it being placed the other way won't work. Still have some work the throttle cable is my confusion right now.. but I know she will all come together. Yes I like the red and black look too Thank you! When finished gunna have red flames on black fenders and gas tank.. will of course post pics when finished!..... Ross Rider :p

Last edited:

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo

Well thank you msrfan I don't hear that very often! (not being sarcastic either)
Had to post pics of my lights just got them today in the mail! They are Cree 1200 Lumins a piece.. going to see if anyone has started a post on lights just to see who has what? And if anyone uses the strobe lights or just beam? These lights have high,medium,low and strobe! Found them on eBay for 58.00.. Will find out what I really think of them when it gets darker tonight! The light with yellow switch in between the lights are the controls for my brake light and turn signals. Gunna look for a forum for headlights now!?! Love this site!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Ross,
Sorry for the late welcome but, Welcome. You've found the right place for help and advice to get you on the road safely and reliably.
This is a funny and diversified hobby in that we have all kinds here. Everthing from teens to old fogys like me and everything in between. We all like to share our knowledge and see a new builder succeed.
There's lots of help available through the 'search' feature but we're always here to help if you can't find the answer there.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Thank You Tom aka 2door! Yes I definitly have been reading and reading aaaand reading on here!! :p It is so great to finally get info and research on things I didn't know the answers to or had no clue how to do some things and now I know!! Everyone has been so nice to help out to answer questions or spot things in pics and state things! I love to learn and soak everyones thoughts and knowledge in! I felt so lonely and little lost but still confident at myself when I first started doing this alone.. ended up googling a question about something and found this site! This girl is in love with this place!! Thanks again!! :) . Ross Rider

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Thank you so much maniac57!! That means a lot! I am soooo proud of her and **** myself for one! :p Taking my time on her, wanting to do it right and not get in a hurry and miss anything that may jepordize the first initial start up or anything! :)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
be careful to secure your chain tensioner very well so it cannot rotate into the spokes. This is one of the biggest problems faced by new builders. Search chain tensioner in the forum for many good tips, and search for something that works for YOUR frame.

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Thanks maniac57! YES I worked on it for 2 days I had problems with it! First was when tightening the chain tensioner it wasgoing inward towards the spokes and was rubbing against my tire. So I moved the motor a little also cause of the exhaust hitting the pedals too.. and got extra washers to place in the bolts so when tightening it down it quit wanting to head straight for the spokes! This helped alot got it away from the spokes and it is away from my tire and dont come close to rubbing anything anymore! I thought I was doing something wrong but learned.. everythings got to be motified a little to fit the frame of your bike being that not all bikes are the same for these kits! I think I took care of the problem .......BUT... Is my chain too tight when the back wheel wont freely move when walking next to it???? :/

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
The thing to remember is that the highest load is on the tensioner when you start the bike so be SURE it WILL NOT ROTATE! I tack weld mine after I get them installed properly but this will require a steel frame and welder. Your frame looks like aluminum which requires a different method.
The classic and sticky thread posts should have something you can use.

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Thanks maniac57 I will definitely check that out! I'm concerned why my back tire won't move when just walking the bike? Gunna have to research this more!
Thanks George_n_Texas I just went there and requested to join the group! Don't know how long it will take before someone answers my request! I am always posting pics of my bike on there! Thanks the lights I love I just posted pics of it pitch black in my back yard and then a pic of them lit up... Huge difference!! For 58.00 on eBay they are one of my best purchases!!!

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Loosen your chain and see if it rolls better. If not maybe the rear hub like the bearings too tight? Theres no tire rub is there? Brakes dragging? Theres not much that could be a cause of it.