Question on getting started and eBay kits

GoldenMotor.com

rellikx

Oct 5, 2012
FLORIDA
Firstly, let me start of by saying that these forums are pretty awesome and have pretty much convinced me to build a mb.

Now, I am a poor college student and I do not want to make a huge investment out of this and if my motor will require more regular maintenance/replacement parts then so be it (Im fine with learning how to better repair small engines).
I have a few frames, so fitting any motor onto one of them shouldn't be a problem. For these reasons, I think I am going to go with an ebay kit but I am not sure how to tell what is a decent ebay kit from a terrible one.
Has anyone had luck recently with an ebay kit and if so, would you mind referring me to their listings?

I was originally looking at the flying horse and king's kits for around 179 USD but the ebay kits seem to be more around the 99-125 range. What does the extra 79 dollars get me besides reliability? Due to where I live and where I need to go, I would like for it to be able to go at least 25mph if not more.

so any decent ebay kits out there or at least reputable vendors?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
hi and welcome to the forum

i have a flying horse kit from bikeberry.com they are fairly good the thing is all of these engines are craps shoots you could get 3 kits from the same place same brand and all of them run different.
there seem to be less problems with the flying horse kits and you can use the stock parts in the box to use your bike without having to go buy replacement chains and other parts before trying to start it.
they come with a 415 chain and some kits come with 410 chain which breaks very easy.

ebay is a craps shoot like you wouldnt believe some have gotten a block out of them and others have gotten 5000miles out of them there garentee on them isnt always the best also

one good tip is dont use the in tank filter buy one from the auto parts or hardware store

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
The $79 does not buy reliability for you in the world of chinagirls.
lol
By NO means!

What you could hope to get for that is a dealer who is helpful, and accustomed to dealing with the associated problems to an extent where he well knows there will be any number of issues, he is preparing to deal with them in good faith, and as such, expects to be compensated for that level of service to clients.

It is probably best to patronize the vendors who support this forum. :)
Best
rc

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I run two engines, a GT-5 from GASBIKE.net $159.00 plus shipping and my favorite motor is the PK-80 from Pirate Cycles $175.00 plus shipping. Both run strong and reliable.But with any kits you're going to have common problems .CDI burn up, things like that you'll find with any vendor . I bought the cheapest 1 of the bay from boy go fast and it blew up in 10 minutes I never made it off the block .needless to say this for did not go fast .

rellikx

Oct 5, 2012
FLORIDA
Yeah I was pretty much debating over the GT-5 and the PK-80 and since you seem to have both, what sort of performance differences do you see between them? What do they top out at on stock parts?