Honda Mini Trail 50 clone engine on Bicycle Designer Z-2 Stretch Cruiser Frame

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
The frame I ordered from Bicycle Designer arrived on May 4, 2012.

I ordered the Bicycle Designer Z 2 Stretch Cruiser Frame with faux tank.

No matter which engine you choose for this frame be it a 2-stroke bicycle engine kit, or a Horrible Fright 99cc predator or the Horrible Fright 212cc, or my favorite a Honda Mini Trail 50 clone engine, these frames with the square bottom tube make motorizing so much easier with the Harbor Freight or the Honda Mini Trail 50 clone engines.

So many things to do to get this build started, first I'll weld in the 6" X 12" steel plate also known as a skid plate.

I'll be changing out the rear drop outs, and sealing the tank, adding the fuel filler bung & fuel petcock!

I haven't decided on the forks I'll be using, what forks would you use for this type of build?

Still have much more work / modifications to do to complete this build!

Checkout my photobucket page for more pic's of this build if you like here's the link below:
http://s978.photobucket.com/albums/...ke Honda Motor for Motorizing StretchBicycle/

Here's a couple pic's to checkout below:

The last pic below shows the four bolt holes that will secure the engine to the steel plate that I will weld to the square bottom tube!

Peace, Crazy Horse.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Nice, that looks like it will fit perfectly! I am very interested in this build since that motor (or one of its larger cc siblings) is on my short list of what to use next.

I cannot wait to see where you take this one .wee.

islandboundfor2

Apr 19, 2012
NC
Awesome. Looked at all your pics on PB. My first ride at 3 was a QA50! Those trail 70's look great.

That z2 frame looks great. I was ordering one when my Puma popped up on Craigslist. The puma has around 40oz. Looks like the z2 may even be double. Thanks for all the pics. We really have been wanting to see better pics of the z2 so were not ordering blind. Looks like a winner to me!

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Maciver02, my confuser is down I tried to post a pic in thread where you wanted suggestions for a Stretch Cruiser frame to mount a Honda Mini Trail 50 clone engine into.

See the www.bicycledesigner.com website for the Bicycle Designer Z1 Tank frame, pictures are attached below.

C.H.
PS The bobber frame can be made using a Honda Mini Trail 50 cloned dirtbike.

]
The frame I ordered from Bicycle Designer arrived on May 4, 2012.

I ordered the Bicycle Designer Z 2 Stretch Cruiser Frame with faux tank.

No matter which engine you choose for this frame be it a 2-stroke bicycle engine kit, or a Horrible Fright 99cc predator or the Horrible Fright 212cc, or my favorite a Honda Mini Trail 50 clone engine, these frames with the square bottom tube make motorizing so much easier with the Harbor Freight or the Honda Mini Trail 50 clone engines.

So many things to do to get this build started, first I'll weld in the 6" X 12" steel plate also known as a skid plate.

I'll be changing out the rear drop outs, and sealing the tank, adding the fuel filler bung & fuel petcock!

I haven't decided on the forks I'll be using, what forks would you use for this type of build?

Still have much more work / modifications to do to complete this build!

Checkout my photobucket page for more pic's of this build if you like here's the link below:
http://s978.photobucket.com/albums/...ke Honda Motor for Motorizing StretchBicycle/

Here's a couple pic's to checkout below:

The last pic below shows the four bolt holes that will secure the engine to the steel plate that I will weld to the square bottom tube!

Peace, Crazy Horse.

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN

Peace, Crazy Horse.
Crazy Horse,

Don't shoot the messenger...

I have rebuilt a few Hondas and have once found the plate on the bottom of the engine cracked and leaking oil. I would suggest mounting the engine through one or two of the three mounting holes on the top of the engine since the smaller 5 or 6mm bolt plate was used for the foot rests.....Dan

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Dan, you are absolutely correct about the bottom bolt holes being used for the foot rests.

I think I'll try you suggestion and weld onto the seat downpost a motor mount from one of my old cloned pitbikes.

I never shoot the messenger especially when it comes to safety.

C.H.

Crazy Horse,

I have rebuilt a few Hondas and have once found the plate on the bottom of the engine cracked and leaking oil. I would suggest mounting the engine through one or two of the three mounting holes on the top of the engine since the smaller 5 or 6mm bolt plate was used for the foot rests.....Dan

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Maciver, see pic's below for Bicycle Designer Z2 Frame measurements.

Let me know if this helps with your build?

C.H.

To see more pic's just go to my photobucket album for Stretch Cruisers.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Very cool. I have been kicking around ideas for a new build since selling my chopper build. This got the wheels turning for sure! I've often wondered why the small pitbike style motors are seldom used by builders. They are quite reasonably priced when you cosider that you get a motor and tranny all in one, gears to boot! I've considered a manual clutch with a jockey shift on a stretch frame before. After this I think this my be the direction I go in.
Super low seat mounting,springer front end (maybe even a leafer style) and a jockey shift would be pretty cool. I was wondering on the dropouts on your frame. Are you planning on leaving them as is or modifying? On my last build I had horizontal dropouts and made chain adjusters to fit which greatly improved chain tensioning and ajustment. Also, what wheels and sprocket setup do you plan? I think with these small motorcycle motors you go past what is safe with bicycle components.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Crazy Horse,

I've seen this problem several times in china atvs when the top motormount bolts break or fall out. The bottom four get too much stress if used alone. Think of the weight levering on the back mounts from the head hanging so far over the front.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Hows this bike coming along CH?
I've seen this problem several times in china atvs when the top motormount bolts break or fall out. The bottom four get too much stress if used alone. Think of the weight levering on the back mounts from the head hanging so far over the front.
Chain, I'm still getting parts together.

Maniac, I might just follow your suggestion and add bracket to use the Top and bottom motor mounts.

Thanks for the suggestion, and for the interest guy's.

Gonna fab an extra mount like the one seen here, look at frame tubing where kick stand is. there's a black bracket that attaches to the two foot peg mounting holes under engine:

C.H.

davidstipek

Jan 25, 2013
chiangmai, Thailand
Crazy Horse

I agree with dan. I used the two top holes in the Yamaha and disgarded using the bottom third as it had solid aluminum mounts, the top two had aluminum then formed rubber to insert into the engine housing then one thru bolt for each. Same as what Yamaha did. takes vibration and keep everything locked "inline".