Electronics?

GoldenMotor.com

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Hey folks, so has anyone found a voltage regulator that can be used with these china motors. I have been looking around and it seems the best bet is a regulator off of a high end lawnmower with an electric start. Any clues, tips, succesful applications???

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
What do you need a regulator for? Blowing headlights?
The research I've done says that in order to safely chg a battery off of the stator in my bike I need a regulator/rectifier. I will be running a full electonics suite, including running lights, brake indicators, turn sigs, and a headlight. I want it to be self sufficient. I don't want to have to remove and rechg batteries. And there is no need to be condesending, if I'm wrong just let me know.

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
well if youre going to be running all that stuff,youre not going to be doing it from the whitewire.unless you use all leds,and still i dont think you will have enough power,so i hope you have a generator in mind too along with your regulator and battery.
i prefer to use my battery and 1 hour quick charger,has plenty of power for head and tail lights.i would still like to see what you come up with and everyones ideas.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
well if youre going to be running all that stuff,youre not going to be doing it from the whitewire.unless you use all leds,and still i dont think you will have enough power,so i hope you have a generator in mind too along with your regulator and battery.
i prefer to use my battery and 1 hour quick charger,has plenty of power for head and tail lights.i would still like to see what you come up with and everyones ideas.
I do fully intend to use Led's for everything. My tail light is going to use 21 smaller LED's, while my front will be Cree LED or possibly a few rebel LED's. All in all I have done the math as far as my voltage and wattage spending. I just need something to change my Stators AC current to a constant DC current to charge my batteries.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
go to radioshack and get 6 single direction diodes that will handle the current... reverse the polarity on 3, and make them flip flop from reversed polarity to non in sequence.. that'll make you your rectifier. or you could possibly take 1 from the charging unit on a briggs and stratton lawnmower engine but it may not fit the bill as they charge at 12v and the magneto is wired diffrently

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
Sneak a peak at the wiring diagrams in old motorcycle service manuals. The Brits were fond of running the output of the lighting mag through a bridge rectifier then a Zener diode to regulate it to whatever voltage they needed (6V in the early days, then 12V).
I had an old Kawasaki that came off the mag and then into a $50 magic box that rectified and regulated the voltage.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Cool Matt I had thought about that. I also want to maybe juice it up a little to. I've been researching capacitors and stuff. I already have my LED proto tail light done I will use a generator if I have to but I'd rather just use the stator/magneto to a charging sys. I don't think the recharging powertool batteries is a bad idea I just need it this way for the project.

Earthman

Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
For a few bucks you can get a bridge rectifier from RadioShack and a 7V Zener diode (online ‘cause RadioShack will not have it) and try the circuit below for a lead-acid battery. If you are using different batteries, get a Zener diode that matches the required charge voltage.

Try the following link for the Zener diode:

7V Zener Diode: KELVIN.com

NOT-SO-SMALL-PRINT: I have never tried the circuit below & I only know enough about electronics to be dangerous. You’ve been warned. Good luck, and let us know if it works.

Attachments

Last edited:

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Thanks for all the input guys, I'll get to work on this and let you know what I end up with as well as any pitfalls along the way...(lol, Yeah John you got it to ten).

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
For a few bucks you can get a bridge rectifier from RadioShack and a 7V Zener diode (online ‘cause RadioShack will not have it) and try the circuit below for a lead-acid battery. If you are using different batteries, get a Zener diode that matches the required charge voltage.

Try the following link for the Zener diode:

7V Zener Diode: KELVIN.com

NOT-SO-SMALL-PRINT: I have never tried the circuit below & I only know enough about electronics to be dangerous. You’ve been warned. Good luck, and let us know if it works.
Thanks a lot Earthman, dig the name by the way. I have a little experience, as I am currently working on a few of Tesla's projects, and have been zapped by a capacitor or two...lol owch that stuff hurts. Lesson learned. I'll try the circuit and let you know what I find. Thanks all!usflg