What Engine Kit is Best

GoldenMotor.com

davehc

Mar 19, 2009
Adrian Mi.
Hi, Im new here , so I will get to my question , since this looked like the best place to ask it . What is the best 4 cycle engine kit on the market today I should look at , to give me the "Whizzer" , look and style for my old bike I want to redo ??? Like web sites , prices , ect. Thanks , Dave

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi Dave, welcome. Bicycle Engines, Motorized Bicycles, Bicycle Motors, Motored Bikes: 2-Stroke & 4-Stroke Kits! has one with the Honda clone. I am told Dax is soon to come out with one using his Titan engine. I do not know when it will be out, but Dax has great service and kits.

I have just started my first 4 smoker Honda build with a grubee gear box and I was shocked at the high quality. Really, really happy with it. The down side is the engine is set up to be a utility engine and not a MB. Took a lil more work the the more common clones.

I know there is not as much information about the 4 stroke kits, but keep asking folks. This being my first, I may not be of great help.

Hough is a member here. Awesome Honda build; http://motorbicycling.com/f3/houghmade-wired-com-4377.html

here are some links;

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/whom-get-4-stroke-5173.html

Last edited:

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Since you're new to this, you may want to first become familiar with your State's laws.(if you haven't
already) That way whatever you buy and build will be something the State will have no issues with.
You'll be able to get the sticker ( good for three years) which denotes your bike is a "moped" and there by exempt of motorvehicle regulations. (and having to carry insurance)

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/50-state-moped-laws-840.html

Here in Ohio they want proof that your bicycle was purchased "ligitimately" and wasn't stolen. (in my area they want a receipt from a WalMart or bicycle shop etc, where as flea markets and yard sale poof of purchase aren't taken very seriously. You wll need to have a receipt for your motor as well)
Since we build our bikes from parts we don't have a "Manufacturers Certificate of Origin" like a new car or motorcycle would have. It's a headache for the bureaucrats at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles
and they will likely want to contact the Capital Building HQ as to what to do with your motorbicycle.

I told my local BMV that I only took on the project as I could get 160 mpg with it. (that impressed them last summer when gas was $4.05 a gallon and was much of the reason they took me serious).

But once you know the legal parameters you can build in, then you can go to to sellers web sites
with more certainty and confidence that what you buy and build will qualify for a license so you can
ride on the road without each and every law enforcement officer pulling you over everytime you're
out.

Last edited:

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
The Best Kit Is...one That Works. They Come Off The Line Fast So Its A Crap Shoot. Buy Them From A Respected Dealer. It Also Depends What You Want To Do With It. I Have A 80cc From Zoombicycles That Has A Few Thousand Miles With Little Problems.