Can't torque Puch head

GoldenMotor.com

Royale

Oct 13, 2009
Colorado
I can't seem to get even my thinnest socket onto my Puch 70 hi hi head after boring out the holes to fit on my 8mm studs. There just isn't enough clearance on one side anymore between the nut and the fin.

Has anyone else run into this problem? I am going to have to remove a decent amount from the fins that run around the nuts to get it so that I can properly torque it down without the friction from clearance interfering with the torque specs.

Will this be an issue or is this common? I am using a heavier duty nut instead of the stock crap so I'm sure that is playing into the situation as well.

I'll post a before and after picture today once I get it all ground out.

Moto

Jan 7, 2012
San Francisco, CA.
Yeah - Ive been through this many times - just take a dremel and grind down the inside of the fins with a carbide / sanding bit - works great!
EDIT: I had to do i quite a bit with this head:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Grind the fins to clear the socket. You aren't going to hurt anything.

You'd have to remove over 10% of the fins to have any effect on cooling. Torquing the head nuts is much more important than the minimul loss of cooling fin surface area.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Grind the fins to clear the socket. You aren't going to hurt anything.

You'd have to remove over 10% of the fins to have any effect on cooling. Torquing the head nuts is much more important than the minimul loss of cooling fin surface area.

Tom

^^What he said

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I used Allen bolts problem solved, cut an Allen wrench fit it to a socket and torque away!
If you aren't sure what length to get stick the stock head bolt on the engine then head over that and mark it with a sharpie and Wha La.
Simple guys stop beat"n yer head against the wall with other methods