Dual Drive Freewheel on OCC-XL Choppers

GoldenMotor.com

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Woo, yes, this is friggin sweet! I can't wait to get mine going, being a new daddy is slowing the process but I'm not complaining. So I am going to take pics of the new homestead when I get off work today, I have this crazy idea. I recently recieved a broken/crashed electric scooter. I was cannibalizing all parts I could, as I got the frame stripped down, I realized that it is a perfect mini lathe bed. That saves me a ton of work, I will post pics and see what guys think later today

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Crazy Horse.

I Just Posted In Your Other Build Thread. We Have A Problem. I Received 2 Hd Axle Kits Today.

The Left Hand Thread`s On The Hubs And The Freewheel Adapters Are A Larger Thread And Will Not Work For You.

Your Chopper Hub`s Are Already .008" Under Size Already. (this May Be Good = Threads Not Cutting Into Hub As Far = Stronger Hub??)

You Are Still Ok, Just Buy 16 Tooth Left Hand (south Paw) Freewheel Sprocket.

More Inventory On The Shelf!! Lol.

Let Us Know What The Machinist Says! Good Luck, Ron

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
The hubs are finished, although I was not expecting the machinist to hurt me as bad as he did!!!

Ouch ouch ouch... $292.56 at 3-hours labor to machine left hand threads on 2 hubs, oh well a lesson well learned.

Yes 2 hubs one is for my XL Chopper and the other is for my OCC Schwinn Stingray Chopper!

Anyway I'm just glad it was a success, he was able to thread 3/8" worth of threads on each hub.

Now I just have to Lace the spokes to the wheel, and then I will add a few tack welds to make sure they don't slip. That is the Left Hand freewheel adapter which is what I'll be mounting my sprocket to.

Note, I could have just welded the left hand freewheel onto the hub and saved my money, but it's ok it's a very clean job.

Word to the wise if you want to use this type of 5-hole freewheel adapter from Bicycle-Engines.com you can just grind down the left side of the hub a lil over an 1/8" and the freewheel adapter will slide on hub and then all you have to do is weld it in place.

Even better yet maybe Grubee can produce some of these OCC Chopper & XL Chopper rear wheels just like the Heavy Duty Dual Drive Wheel that he already produces for Bicycle Engines, Motorized Bicycles, Bicycle Motors, Motored Bikes: 2-Stroke & 4-Stroke Kits!.

By the way when I ordered my freewheel adapters I ordered 3 of them and one of them I destroyed taking it apart to see what its internal parts were, I don't recommend wasting $20.00 dollars to see the inner workings of the 5-hole freewheel adapter.

Remember to turn the heat way down/back on your welder if you decide to weld these on your hub, you don't wanna destroy them, just a few good tack welds will do.

Well soon as I get off this confuser I'll start lacing up the wheels!

Peace Crazy Horse!

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
"got Er Done" !!

Joe And I Had A Great Visit On The Phone. A Couple Day`s Ago.

The Threads Are Larger Than 1 3/8" Diam. They Went To The Step Up On The Hub And Cut Larger Dia. Threads. It Worked Out Well! Except For The Threading Cost.

As I Recently Posted, I Bought Two Hd Axle Kits. They Are Great If You Want To Relace A Wheel, And A Bargain Price For What You Get. The Hd Axle Kits Did Me No Good For My Current Project As My 2 Wheel`s Are Already Threaded With The Standard 1 3/8" Left Hand Thread.

The Hd Kit Freewheel Adapters Slide Over My Threads Like A Washer. Duh!
It Would Be Easy To Install Disc Brake If Preferred Over The Drum Brake. I Like The Drum Brake By Looking At It, But Have Never Used One.

Ron

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Hey Ron,
My opinion, the drum brake SUCKS!!!! I plan on switching it to a disc as soon as I get a chance. The drum works, but not well and it takes a lot of effort to pull on the lever hard enough for it to work. When you do squeeze on it, it squeals pretty loud. Drives me nuts, so I don't use it. Just my opinion.

Good work CH. That looks cool. Remember to throttle up easy when you are coasting to engage that freewheel. It will scare the crap out of you if you gas it too hard. I swear, I thought mine was gonna come out from under me the first couple of times.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Just a quick update I finished the Lacing of Both my OCC Schwinn Stingray Chopper & XYZ Bicycles XL Chopper rear hubs.

The machine shop did a great job threading the left hand threads on both hubs, I will put a couple of tack welds on the 5-hole freewheels for both bikes to prevent any slipping or stripping of the hubs.

So for those of you considering using this type of setup on an XL Chopper or OCC Chopper just remember you can just weld on the 5-hole freewheels and save yourself some cash, without having to have a machine shop cut threads into your Chopper hub.

By the way the OCC Schwinn Stingray Chopper & the XYZ Bicycles XL Choppers have what is called 3 cross lacing of the spokes if you didn't already know this.

Here's both wheels laced and ready to go:

Here's a few pic's with wheels mounted, the motors still need the skid plate welded on to the bottom tube that'll be done this week:

Peace Crazy Horse.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
ezip electric bikes have a dual drive hub 7 speed casssete.and a bmx style on the left side
Awesome thanks for sharing this info, Beentryin.

But are there any ezip hub's in the 170MM range cause most of the Choppers either OCC or XL-Choppers have the 170MM hubs!

C.H.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Crazy Horse,
Your bikes are awesome. Haven't seen many posts from you in some time. I hope it's because you're busy and selling builds and that all is well with you. Coming up to Colorfest in Thurmont this year? I'll be there and so will Tinsmith I imagine. Maybe Tim Boelner, too. Be good to meet you finally and see one of your great bikes. Be well,
SB

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Ok now I have a challenge I'm thinking about running a Left Hand / Right Hand Dual Drive Freewheel on my OCC Chopper & XL Chopper Builds.

Here's a few pic's or rear wheel left side & right side. The right side has a freewheel sprocket and I'd like to add a freewheel sprocket to left side.

Why?

Answer: If this is possible I won't have to use a jackshaft to switch honda 4-stroke 50cc pit / dirt bike drive train to right side rear freewheel sprocket.

I would in then have two or a Dual Drive rear freewheeling HUB / Wheel.

I would still have my pedal power driven right side rear freewheeling sprocket, and on the left side I'd have a motor driven rear freewheeling sprocket at the rear wheel !!! YEAH !

The reason I'm trying to do this is that with the chinese cloned honda pit / dirtbike engine, when you place it into the frame the engine drive sprocket lines up almost perfectly with rear wheel axle.

On the OCC Choppers & XL Choppers you have almost 1-1/4" thats one & one quarter inches of free space on left side of rear wheel and the Hub appears to have flange diameter of 1-1/4"s also.

If anyone has suggestions or know where to purchase these please share this info.

Here's the pic's of XL Chopper rear hub & wheel:

Notice all this space / room for a possible left side drive freewheel sprocket.

Peace Crazy Horse.
I can't get over the price on those motors. Unless I'm looking at the wrong site these are cheaper then the China Girls. Almost swayed me away from my BT build, almost. :D
Yes Kevlar, some of these Honda crf50 / Honda Cub / Honda Solo, horizontal Honda E-22 engines can be cheaper to purchase than a China-Girl engine. However your best bet is buy a Craigslist used pitbike or Kids ATV, these will be complete with everything electric start lights horn etc. You can use the ATV's from Craigslist for a Trike build etc...these usually sell on Craigslist in the Washington, D.C. area used for $50-$300 USD if you can haggle sometimes they'll give it to you for free just for taking it away, especially if you tell them what you're gonna do with it!

Just wanted to see if there's any interest in the Dual Drive systems for Motorizing Stretch Cruisers & Choppers etc...

If you've come up with your own version of a Dual Drive System please share it or post a Link to the Thread / Post.

I'd prefer a Dual drive Setup with Pedal drive sprocket right side and Dual Sprotor Setup Sprocket Disc Brake Left Side.

I personally have only seen this done one time on a Schwinn StingRay Chopper, and that was on Jim's @Pedalchopper a Chrome Schwinn Chopper with rear wheel Dual Drive Disc brake Setup
It's this build on Pedalchopper OCC CHROME - "STREET ROD"
"Quote
This unit was the first OCC PedalChopper I built with DUAL [front and rear] Disc Brakes.
End Quote"
http://www.pedalchopper.com/home/latest-builds/

C.H..