been a while, building up a new bike.

GoldenMotor.com

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
well lets get into some questions then i suppose.

i was looking into building a workman 4 stroke, but i guess they don't fit so well together with out modifying.

what are some readily available bikes to build off of, although i may look into craigslist for older frames, any recommendations?

then the next part is how big of a motor do i need? the predators/greyhounds were popular and still seem to be, but i'm not sure the 79cc is big enough, and the 99cc isn't on the site. next step up is 212 and i'm not sure how necessary that actually is.

and then money comes into play. i was fortunate enough to have someone share some pre packaged parts from affordablegokarts for the predator 79/99 motors that would make building it somewhat easy. but some parts get pretty pricey, are there any cheaper but still reasonable alternatives (specifically the jack shaft kit that i would need). and the other thing is if the 79cc isn't going to be powerful enough, what are my options?

not trying to turn this into a 4 stroke build thread, but since all my older friends already seemed to stop in, figured i mite as well get some idea ;)

thanks guys!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
As far as a frame goes, just about any steel cruiser frame should work. If you're looking for something new and inexpensive, the Huffy Cranbrook can be had at Walmart for usually under $100. In my experience, its been a great, solid steel frame. You may want to consider upgrading the wheels, but if you already have Worksman rims, that should not be an issue. If you're looking for something more old school, maybe American made, I might suggest perusing craigslist for a Schwinn cruiser frame. The Schwinn cruiser frames with the skinny tubing are almost definitely American made as far as I know. The 79cc Predator is a fine choice. The 212 is not really necessary. The only jackshaft that is cheaper than agk's is the ProMod jackshaft, and its only about $15 cheaper, so that won't save you a ton of money. Building a non-kit 4 stroke is not the cheapest way to go as far as initial costs, but imo, worth it in the long run as it will save you money later on. With proper maintenance, the only things you should need to replace are the tires (they all wear out eventually) chains (they stretch and get worn) and the sprockets (as the chain wears, so do the sprockets over time).

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I had a Cranbrook for my ht bike, but I was able to grab a Schwinn cantilever frame for $25 at the same time I got my engine for $50, so I decided to go for it. Nice to know at least one thing on my bike is American made, lol.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
BBB, it was suppossed to be a funny.

But now I have to ask,have you even been on the staton site? They do SO much more than friction drive. For an example,they make a shift kit JUST for the Giant Stilleto. Need more? Go to the site. And the prices might be steep,but doesn't everyone say that's the price you pay for 'Made-In-America" on the product?

And didn't you build your bike? Made in America with imported parts.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
BBB, it was suppossed to be a funny.

But now I have to ask,have you even been on the staton site? They do SO much more than friction drive. For an example,they make a shift kit JUST for the Giant Stilleto. Need more? Go to the site. And the prices might be steep,but doesn't everyone say that's the price you pay for 'Made-In-America" on the product?

And didn't you build your bike? Made in America with imported parts.
Ok you got me there, lol. I have been on the site briefly, but not seen all the different setups they carry.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Yeah,you don't get it. Try this one:staton makes multiple shift kits rivalled only by SBP,and that's only because of the in-frame mount setup. Staton has in frame setups,but its weird. But that's coming too though. And they have almost EVERY bolt you could need for ANY MB build.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
How do you give a cursory glance at a company who's been doing this longer and more successfully than anyone else in the business?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
How do you give a cursory glance at a company who's been doing this longer and more successfully than anyone else in the business?
I wasn't interested in paying their prices. When I go on a site and I see high $$$ products I can't afford, I usually don't browse a whole lot. I know where to get parts I need, and those are the sites I look at the most. My next build is already costing more than I want it to, and I'm not totally happy about it, but I'm willing to pay the cost because I know its worth it. When you do a non-kit build, you need quality parts. I'm already $350 in my new build (98cc Lifan on a Chicago Schwinn cruiser frame), and have at least that much to go. I am getting off somewhat easy here, I did get probably almost $100 worth of parts for free. But I'm still looking at around $700 total, maybe more. I'm going with the agk transmission because its less expensive than the qmatic. I'm sure that Staton has a lot of nice high quality products, but unless you work for them, can't understand why you would take offense to my ignorance?

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
No offense taken. Just don't understand. I can dig the high price faint,but no curiousity as to why? I've searched every MB website I can find from top to bottom.

And I'm doing the non kit thing. Mine isn't to pricey,but my wifes will probably run about $800-$1000.

And btw,I spent d@mn near $1800 on my first build. It all piles up,after a while,no matter what.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Some people like to search the web and explore different sites for fun or to have knowledge about different things. I just like to know where to find what I need, and don't usually see much of a need to go beyond that. With the setup I'm working on, I know where to find everything I need or want. Staton doesn't happen to be one of those places right now.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Matt the American Made Schwinns have a nice smooth transition from the head tube to the bars it is a forged piece - you won't see any welding here that's how you know it's a Schwinn if it is nice and clean but looks like it was stuck in there but no welding it's prob a huffy of somthing snotty welds and it's prob chinese. Also keep in mind that with the older Schwinns there is a mid weight and heavy or ballooner. The light weights are a bit lighter but the big difference is how wide tires you can put them. Try that antique bike place on Monsgnr. Highway in Somerville. If you have the wheels with a blown hub I would just replace it.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Sorry Matt the place to check is in Cambridge. 201 Monsignor obrian hway they are open tues -sun 10 - 6. Last time I was there he had a bunch of bikes that would be a good fit.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
One more thing Matt look into "operation kickstand" Menino has enacted it within Boston proper city limits and Cambridge was also thinking about it. Basically just get a sticker for it.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i'll keep that in mind when i start looking at used bikes. sadly i live in NH now and don't get down to MA very often, so probably won't stop in there. but there is a used bike shop about 15 miles from me here in NH, mite look there for some stuff.

and luckily NH doesn't really have very many laws regarding these.