Help me choose between TWO bikes!

GoldenMotor.com

Mick5s

Mar 14, 2012
Connecticut
WOW! It looks great. Very cool with those tires.

So taking the opinions into account, I could settle for the Shwinn Clairmont, because thinking about it, I would rather have a reliable MB then a cool looking lemon.

But wont there be complications with the gear derailer? I dont want to shift gears, I just want it fixed on a gear.

Can I take that ugly derailer off?
??

Thanks

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You can remove the derailleur but then you will need to cut the chain to proper length for whatever gear you choose and even then it will be a krapshoot if the chain tension will be acceptable. I cannot comment on the Clairmont as I do not have one but I can tell you that my Schwinn Point Beach has no front - back adjustment for the rear wheel.
The derailleur gives the chain proper tension.
I can also say that I really appreciate the gears on my Point Beach. Compared to my Atlas which has a 1 gear/ coaster brake hub, the gears on the point Beach make life a whole lot easier. If I ever need to pedal assist the engine for climbing hills I can shift to a more appropriate gear instead of high speed pedaling my self to death trying to pedal at 20MPH with a lower, slower gear.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Ahhhh multi-gears, the one thing a DelMar dosn't have. It's such a joyful workout pedaling with a extremely high gear when your out of gas. That look you get from millions of people laughing at you cause you've got an engine on a bicycle with no gas. Seriously if you want to save on major workouts pedaling get a multi-speed. I've worked with a clairmont before, it's the same frame as the DelMar with the rear rack and rear wheel adjustment but also with multi gears and derailleur an also front and rear V-pull brakes.

Last edited:

Mick5s

Mar 14, 2012
Connecticut
Alright, so let's say I get the Clairmont.

I still don't really want all those gear knobs on the handlebars, and wires and all that. Despite the inevitable workouts it might bring me, I really don't want the gears.

So I know I will have to cut the chain, but is that it? Not much other work has to be done with the bike itself, right?

And I also want to take off the front brake.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Almost forgot MAKE SURE FRONT FENDER HAS GOOD SUPPORT! You don't want that thing to get caught on the tire if it bends in the front you will nose-plant into the ground not catipult! There have been a few here who found out the hard way. When you get going 20+ MH that fender will catch wind and bumps will shake it.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
So I know I will have to cut the chain, but is that it? Not much other work has to be done with the bike itself, right?
Multi speed chains have no master link. You will need to have it pressed apart, shortened and re-pinned, or a new connecting link installed. Aftermarket does sell master links for multi-speed bikes but they are specific sized to the particular width of the chain, depending on how many gears the system uses

And I also want to take off the front brake.
So lemme get this straight in my own head... You want to take a bicycle and put an engine in it that will allow you to travel as speeds much faster than the bicycle was ever designed to travel at and on top of all of that you want to remove the most powerful brake on the bike so quick stops/ speed adjustment and accident avoidance are rendered much harder to do and sometimes impossible? If so, I strongly recommend that you re-consider keeping the front brake for your own safety and well being.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
My bike is all steel the paint is a fantastic metalic midnight blue and when ordered it doesn't come with any stickers slobber'd all over it so you could personnalize it, there is also alot of Schwinn type eqp on it like the Phantom sprocket and chain gaurd, the fenders are pretty wide and struts are strong the web site I ordered it from has a very wide selection of bikes and parts, the bike was $169.oo then $39.99 to ship got it in 3-days rear brake is a HiStop and works great I'm thinking of putting on a front disk just to get the increased breaking distance,
seriously check em out at www.bikebuyers.com, you won't be disappointed

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Seems to me the critical factor here is THE LOOK!

IMO...

Far better to accessorize and do fancy paintwork than forego the significantly important mechanical functions.

...I agree!
The cables all over the handlebars look STOOPID !

But you don't necessarily need 'em. Especially up there.

The Schwinn is 7 speed, and only has one derailleur, and I've considered cutting down my control cable and mounting the lever down on the seat stay.
I don't use it, and it doesn't need to be handily accessible.
Actually, I've seen any number of kids with NO derailleur, and the chain just hanging off the sprockets... so I KNOW that works!

Still IMO...
Having two working brakes could be critical at any moment.
and you'll never know when...
My guess would be this could most likely become apparent When You First Get It Running!
and that's abt the same time you would discover that coaster brakes are...
Well, let me put it this way...
They are NOT GOOD if you have a pedal bike and live someplace with a lot of hills.
Half the time it makes no difference.
The other half, they fade.

Good luck to you!
rc

Mick5s

Mar 14, 2012
Connecticut
Ok so I agree with you and what the others have said. I will keep the front brake on, but I would really just like to take the chain and put it right on the sprocket -- loosing the derailleur completely.

I just think that having it on there makes it look like just a bicycle, as apposed to a full blown MB!

Ok. So what I have chosen
Shwinn Clairmont
Chain on sproket (what size chain..? for master link purchase)
Front / Rear Linear Brakes

All sound good? Because I'm waiting for a couple auctions to end and then the ordering will begin!

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
The front brake does like 80% of the braking as for being full blown that kinda kills the purpose of being legal without licensing...it is peddle assist. The BEST bike IMO is the old junker you find at a yard sale ect. for $5

Mick5s

Mar 14, 2012
Connecticut
By full blown I meant something that looks pulled together, and has a style.

As for the front brake, I find it annoying to slip my hand under the clutch handle to hit the front brakes. It is much easier to use the rear and it works just as fine.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
As for the front brake, I find it annoying to slip my hand under the clutch handle to hit the front brakes.
Oh!

...That's the problem!

I run mine the other way... I got the brake lever mounted a tad high, and the clutch lever in the lower position, since I don't use it so much as the brake.
Well, that is to say, I do what I can to avoid stopping completely, and having a need for the clutch... I try to pace myself in the traffic to avoid the signal lights. I use the lockout button when coming up to a light I must stop for.

...and I usually kill the motor for most stoplights...
Pedal and re-start when it goes green.

IMO, these ht clutches are not really meant to be used a lot.
The less, the btr!
rc

Mick5s

Mar 14, 2012
Connecticut
I really haven't, and will continue to not run the bike(s) on main roads with lights and intersections and such. I just use it around back-roads and on the property.

So I need the clutch more than the front brake. Good idea to mount it higher though, I guess it depends on the type of usage.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
I've built four Huffy Cranbrook variations so far- the origional, a 2010 blue&cream from WalMart, I just romped today. No issues with the bike, standard stupidity with the HT motor. The 'Panama Jack' is a party machine- drink holder, ditty bag (not for tools, more like sunscreen and condoms) and (get this) a BOTTLE OPENER on the front forks! That "Panama Jack" panel under the top bar messes with mounting the tank as well as the CDI, and the back rack rattles like death past 18mph... If you can live with that, it's no big deal. The rack is extendable but only locks on the right- shim it on the left and that solves the issue.. the rack is welded to the frame and will support my 200 lb frame without issue. The 'Nel Lusso' seems a better buy, IMHO.
I've not built on a Schwinn... I liked the 12 gauge huffy spokes over the 14 gauge Schwinn spokes. The Schwinn has 4" more wheelbase, making for more body space and a more comfortable cruise. This amounts to Ford vs. Chevy, Stutz vs. Mercer, Harley vs. Indian, Glock vs. Colt 1911 ad nausem. I like the Huffster. Others like the Schwinn. My hubmount fits either one, so I might do a Schwinn in the future.
the Old Sgt. usflg