OK very overwhelming, quick question ....

GoldenMotor.com

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Since you have experience with motors you should be ok with a HT. You have to get by the fact that the quality is not there and deal with it. This forum is filled with ways to improve your set up and make it reliable. Just be very patient and take your time getting it as right as you can and it'll pay off. My first 2 stroke was so frustrating I put it away for a couple months until I decided I was going to make it work. With the information I gathered here I was able to eliminate alot of problems before I ever fired it up. My 2-stroke has been running three years and haven't touched a thing. The 4-stroke starts up and goes each time as well. Lots of folks ready to answer any questions you have so give it a try and let us know how it goes. Pirate Cycles has been a good supplier for me and they are in your neighborhood. Good Luck! Dan

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I likethe term "junk" engine- but not because of any implication of quality-
I use it in the sense of the term Chinese Junk Boat- the traditional utilitarian vehicle of remote asian river areas.

That's how I most think of my bike- as a utilitarian vehicle- I've sorta been through the "hobby phase" now- it's almost threes years (will I write that 3 year report? I meant to do one last year and the year before, but I wasn't ready then)

If anything, I've valued my own bikes up just a little bit too much- although nothing that exotic- just the best mix of cinese junk 2 strolke motors and lightweight traditional cycling advances- and mostly because I carry them up a flight of stairs.

But the beauty of these motors and activity as far as I'm concerned is that you can have so much VERY CHEAP transportation for so little- and the motors themselves are SIMPLE really. Yeah you can think of them as some sort of custom machine, and you can strive to get every ounce of speed you can out of it- and there are otherwise still choiices- 4 stroke, friction drive etc. I seldom ride without a basket, because I do a good deal of my daily shopping with it. If I lived on a first floor and had some place to keep it, I'd probably have my 66 with baskets both front and rear.

To me, theres a simplistic utilitarian beauty to the 2 stroke bikes and you can still be on the road for about $200 with an old cruiser.

Gr8lite

Jan 24, 2012
Maine
Ahh Thanks I thought that it might refer to the motors but I thought it meant
Horrible Torture ! LOL

I just sent off an email to Thats Dax inquiring about an engine and list of parts. Hopefully they will have everything available at a reasonable price and in stock!

I will be sending the same inquiry to a couple other suppliers as well. Is there a supplier preference?

Thanks to all for your time , knowledge , and insight!

Gr8lite

Jan 24, 2012
Maine
Where is the "Rate the Vendor" thread? Dax has been crossed of the list of vendors for me! Couldn't even be bothered to read my email and answer a couple questions that I had. To Busy counting money to care about potential customers, I guess.
Who will be best at caring about their customers purchases? Simple friggen questions! I sell parts , and have for almost 30 years! My job is to assist my customers and potential customers become customers! I don't give up on ANY parts finding mission until all avenues have been exhausted! Maybe he is having a bad day. I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt that he has served you well in the past.
Sorry had to rant .......................

Thanks for ALL the great info and knowledge that you have to share with us new guys.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Wow. I had no idea there were so many people who were as unhappy with, or disappointed with, the little China Gurl 2-strokes. I must now assume I've been very lucky so far.
A couple years ago I spent (I think) about $140 on mine. I had no illusions about it; I knew I wasn't buying a Morini. In the beginning I wasn't expecting much from it. When I was first running it, I was breaking it in so it smoked and was hard to start. I put an NGK plug in it, did some porting and tuning, and it ran great.
Since that time THIS SAME ENGINE was on the bike that was wrecked when I was hit by the truck. The steel bike frame was bent and cracked. The NT carburettor was cracked also; I think my leg was slammed against it. Other bike parts were later found to have taken enough damage to be beyond economical repair. (If you think this sounds bad, you should see my X-rays and my hospital bills. The bike and I suffered together.)
Once I was out of the hospital and moving around (still on crutches though, at this point) I looked the engine over, inside and out, and it seemed sound. So I bought a new carburettor, and mounted it on my present bike. It runs just as well there as it did before. I always check it thoroughly before each ride, as I do with the rest of the bike. I suppose I treat it like it's worth more than it really is. And it just takes the bike where I point it. I can only assume that I possess one of the best little HT 2-smokers around.
That said, 4-strokes are probably more efficient and pollute less. But I'm the wrong one to be able to say they are easier to maintain. Every one of my 4-stroke lawn mowers with Briggs engines were a pain in the butt, no matter how often I'd run them in the summer. I am meticulous with my maintenance, and each always had some little thing going wrong at some time or other. I guess the 2-strokers are just easier for me - fewer parts, less maintenance, greater reliability (for me anyway). Just easier and cheaper all across the board. Sure, they're disposable. They're so cheap that if something catastrophic goes wrong with one, you can just save a bit of cash and buy another. But, lawd hep me, here I am defending them. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Wow. I had no idea there were so many people who were as unhappy with, or disappointed with, the little China Gurl 2-strokes. I must now assume I've been very lucky so far.
A couple years ago I spent (I think) about $140 on mine. I had no illusions about it; I knew I wasn't buying a Morini. In the beginning I wasn't expecting much from it. When I was first running it, I was breaking it in so it smoked and was hard to start. I put an NGK plug in it, did some porting and tuning, and it ran great.
Since that time THIS SAME ENGINE was on the bike that was wrecked when I was hit by the truck. The steel bike frame was bent and cracked. The NT carburettor was cracked also; I think my leg was slammed against it. Other bike parts were later found to have taken enough damage to be beyond economical repair. (If you think this sounds bad, you should see my X-rays and my hospital bills. The bike and I suffered together.)
Once I was out of the hospital and moving around (still on crutches though, at this point) I looked the engine over, inside and out, and it seemed sound. So I bought a new carburettor, and mounted it on my present bike. It runs just as well there as it did before. I always check it thoroughly before each ride, as I do with the rest of the bike. I suppose I treat it like it's worth more than it really is. And it just takes the bike where I point it. I can only assume that I possess one of the best little HT 2-smokers around.
That said, 4-strokes are probably more efficient and pollute less. But I'm the wrong one to be able to say they are easier to maintain. Every one of my 4-stroke lawn mowers with Briggs engines were a pain in the butt, no matter how often I'd run them in the summer. I am meticulous with my maintenance, and each always had some little thing going wrong at some time or other. I guess the 2-strokers are just easier for me - fewer parts, less maintenance, greater reliability (for me anyway). Just easier and cheaper all across the board. Sure, they're disposable. They're so cheap that if something catastrophic goes wrong with one, you can just save a bit of cash and buy another. But, lawd hep me, here I am defending them. I'm pretty happy with mine.
I'll put the Atomic BB up against it, my brother. It's a 48cc flying horse motor. 2 1/2 years old, and has over 1500 miles on it. I've never been in the motor except to lube the pinion gear, and I've replaced the pinion gear one time. It was my first MB build. After some initial teething problems with the exhaust, a intake leak that I probably caused, and a float that sprung a leak, the motor has been trouble free for 2 years. The only maintenance I do is lube the chain and pinion gear, and check for loose bolts. the first pinion gear wore out because back then I didn't know you needed to maintenance it, and I don't think it came from the factory with much lube on it. Remember this was my first. Since figureing that out I've noticed all my pinion gear wear has been greatly reduced.

It has easily run 30 mph all the way across Dallas multiple times now, and I've never had an engine failure on a run. Typically if I get out of the hood, I ride it about 15 miles, but most all day rides around town are 30 to 50 miles.

With a 40T sprocket it only has enough power to run a a top speed a little over 30 mph which is a safe enough rpm to run wfo all day in hot Texas summer. The motor has always been noisey since out of the box, but I've ignoried it, and it's ignoried me with no other complaints. It always gets about 120 mpg. I paid $125 shipped for the kit from Zoom.

The only reason I don't ride it more is because, I'm more in love with the 80 motors because, when I'm blazing across town in traffic I like to be able to do at least 35 mph, and that's a little beyond the Atomic BBs ability.

It's the one with the red and yellow tires in this pic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DUHadQpNnQ

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I too feel lucky since I've had no problems with my 2-strole in the three years I've been running it. Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I love my little 2 strokers. They do everything I ask of them with little to no complaint. Like biknut, the only maintenance I do is periodic lubrication of the gears and chain, check the torque of critical fasteners and add fuel. No valves to adjust, no oil changes, just pedal a couple of feet and they start and run. I've never paid more than $150 for a kit and have never had a hint of a catasrtophic failure. My bikes are not my main means of transportation but are built and meant for fun and lazy cruising. I can run 30mph all day, burn little fuel and they're quiet enough that I'm not bothering anyone. What more could anyone ask?
Tom

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
I am currently mounting a Sachs 50 cc engine on a Huffey frame. The engine includes an Auto drive ( no clutch required), and has an output sprocket the same as the China engines. This engine has been around for a long time and is a proven reliable 2 cycle. The hardest part will be making the mounts and making sure everything lines up. I paid 100.00 for the engine used and in like new.