Pull start kick start?

GoldenMotor.com

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
I have never seen a pull start so I have no idea if this would work but if you added a retractable starter, like add a foot petal to the rope could it work in theory?

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Could work.. But id warn ya the pull start sold at zoom broke on me within a week or two. (spool fell apart, small spring broke, etc etc), And I think the kick would have to be frame mounted as I don't think the motor is strong enough to surive that kinda force.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Maybe if It was designed and built by someone other than Grubee. The Pull start on my 2010 GT5 fell apart the third pull......and continues to break about every third pull. It's an absolute piece of junk.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome Wee! Been thunking about that for a few yrs. Absolutely it would work. Guided and with proper "stops", it will be easier on the mechanism. I have some of one made for a 4 smoke but was kinda put on the back burner.

Lookin' forward to seeing where you go with this. Be uber cool on a ChinaGirl.

.flg.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Side thought, well sorta. Thanks for bringing this back to the front of my lil brain. Working on a 4 smoke mount and gonna incorporate a "step-start" sort-a-thing. hmmm

The best part of these things is the plotting. That and the building. Ok, that, the building and the riding. Got it. Planning, the building, the riding and....

snork

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Been thinking of this also

I'm thinking a ratcheted gear, (like on a come a long) , that will engage another gear (going down but not coming up), that replaces the pulley that the rope is attached to ,attached to a kick bar that is some how supported in some sort of bracket that is bolted to the engine or bike frame

If I could work that out one of those lawn mower engines might work for me

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
How about take a couple of gears one on the engine and one on a free wheel thats mounted to kick lever. Thats the way the old washingmachine Briggs were Only I think the free wheel was on the engine and was kicked with a half moon gear

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Was thinking the same thing Joab. But kinda veered away from that as the pauls (sp) would make a helava racket. A lot of lawn mower pull starts have arms the extend when pulled and retract under no pull into the cooling fins. I have been looking for some thing or an already mass produced pull start mechanism that clamps down on the shaft when pulled. I am not disagreeing with you in any way. Just what I had thought about.

Ya got me thinking though. Instead of ratcheting, some thing centrifugal? This really is the fun part and keeps me awake at nights.

Could be a really cool thing for the community.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I have never taken one of the pull start mechanisms apart, didn't know that they had a reverse stroke lockout already

The ratcheting idea came to me when I was pulling my truck out of a hole with a come a long

Something along the lines on the old oil filter wrenches would also work
Whatever the mechanism it has to only engage on the down stroke, and the simpler the better, but if there is already something out there it would be much much easier to use that than to reinvent the wheel

Oh and I think the racheting racket would sound cool, at least different and crude

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You guys are going to keep me awake now. I have a old kick Briggs I will have to look when I get a little time.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har Curtis! lol, I was just thinking that. Ya get excited about a thought or concept and toss an' turn all night. I am really liking the filter wrench idea. Could be done with some flat stock and a couple of springs. gripping though?

Can you post pics of how they did it? Google had this; how does a kick start work? - Google Search

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Could do somthin like the cranks on pre electric star cars, or WWII jeeps, with a lever that was stuck into the end of the crank, with a set of splines, that you kick to start, and move foot out of way, then pull clutch to remove, you could put it onto a gear after clutch, so it would not spin at 6000rpm constantly so you could pull clutch to remove

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
just watched a Youtbe by some guy that was starting his lawn mower with a battery drill using a socket attached to a 3/8 drive
It gave me simple ideas

15/16 socket welded to the nut on the crankshaft on one end and welded to a 1/2 drive ratchet on the other on the other end of the ratchet weld a protrusion for the foot rest par that is somehow welded to a swivel that allows you to push it put of the way when not in use. Somehow spring load the lever so that it returns to the upright position after cranking

I could use Craftsman tools and install it on my old Sears bike

Potential problems
1) Not being able to generate enough force to start the engine
2) The ratchet not being able to withstand the abuse
3) the fact that that nut is going to be spinning with that contraption attached to it and beating the **** out of your leg

OK never mind

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
A Briggs has the kick on the driven end behind pully( haven't found mine yet,but had one when a kid,just a old goat now). I am thinking that a free wheel there with a flat or stright tooth gear on it. It would not free wheel unless ingaed or held. then a kick with a half moon gear,so when you push down the half moon would engage through the ark. When you let go it would come back to top and not be in contact. They had a twist spring on them to just bring it back not to hard. The kick lever pivit would be in the center of a gear with only part of the gear ( half moon ) to mesh with other. Thats my pipe dream...curt

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
just watched a Youtbe by some guy that was starting his lawn mower with a battery drill using a socket attached to a 3/8 drive
It gave me simple ideas

15/16 socket welded to the nut on the crankshaft on one end and welded to a 1/2 drive ratchet on the other on the other end of the ratchet weld a protrusion for the foot rest par that is somehow welded to a swivel that allows you to push it put of the way when not in use. Somehow spring load the lever so that it returns to the upright position after cranking

I could use Craftsman tools and install it on my old Sears bike

Potential problems
1) Not being able to generate enough force to start the engine
2) The ratchet not being able to withstand the abuse
3) the fact that that nut is going to be spinning with that contraption attached to it and beating the **** out of your leg

OK never mind
I tried that a wee bit ago and works great! I used a drill, bolt and a socket. Had the pull start off and needed to start the engine. The parts were next to me so tried it. As the engine lit off, just pulled away. A lot of the socket was used up with the head of the bolt so was just enough to grab the nut on the fly wheel. Really did work well, but mine would need a really, really long extension cord.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A Briggs has the kick on the driven end behind pully( haven't found mine yet,but had one when a kid,just a old goat now). I am thinking that a free wheel there with a flat or stright tooth gear on it. It would not free wheel unless ingaed or held. then a kick with a half moon gear,so when you push down the half moon would engage through the ark. When you let go it would come back to top and not be in contact. They had a twist spring on them to just bring it back not to hard. The kick lever pivit would be in the center of a gear with only part of the gear ( half moon ) to mesh with other. Thats my pipe dream...curt
Think you got it Curtis. Would work perfect.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is &%&$^%##@* perfect! Simple, clean. Not even a need for any sort of spring for turning the shaft. (would use one any way to draw it down for keeping it out of the way)

Ding, ding, ding.... we have a winner. That just made #1 on the next project list! Really had wondered if some thing like that could work being so simple.

Very cool Joab, thank you for sharing!

Dang, now have to relocate my uber cool throttle system. Really is cool old world MB looking. well sorta. Took for ever to get perfect. LOL, you just bared out some thing I wanted to try and I am complaining.

Is very exciting.

.flg.