Manhattan Tandem Lives

GoldenMotor.com

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Well Groovy guys & gals, as promised the project is at completion.

Dedicating the month of January proved fruitful. I sorted my braking issue out and decided to install the original wheels (heavy duty spokes and rims) with the coaster brake on them. I looked into a front disc braking system and concluded that what I wanted is ultimatly the ability to "panic" stop if I needed to. My front and rear calipers do well in general use, however I couldn't "hammer" a stop if emergency warranted it.
Bike & 2 riders weigh approx. 390lbs. I felt a front disk would'nt in and of its self acomplish what I was wanting. So, free $ was staring me in the face. I R & Referb'd the coaster brake rear, kept my 2 caliper brakes also, altered a couple of used fenders given by a buddy, and completed the filing, filling and finish on the tandem. Needed to replace front crank races and berrings and 2 head berrings also, along with topping off with 2 new shiny sets of pedals.
Rather than have custom acrylic base/clear mixed & fire up the gun & compressor I decided to go for the short dollar and try one of the new metal flake colors that just came out from Dupli.Color. Retro Red MS300. Just what I was looking for and at $10.89 a can 2 cans covered great. Used also 1 can primer @ $5.00, Krylon BBQ & Stove for pipe @ $4.34, Rustoleum crystal clear enamel @ 5.89 can, and for chaingard, Rustoleum Metallic @ 5.79 w/clear. Lettering was $26 for outdoor grade vinyl at a quick sign shop done after emailing my font and design to them, done same day. Waited 5 days after I applied lettering over original paint & clear to layer 5 coats clear over lettering. Paint job for under $50. Using the gun W/custom mix metallc would have made costs run well over $120 with hardner and actvator, reducer ect.
A somewhat longer post, but maybe helpful to others looking for cool results on the less expence.

Viola. Tandem's done. Pix attached. (P.S. a manhattan is my wife's favorite)

Now waiting for spring. On to next project, rebuilding my ol' 61 Kiekhaefer Merc 500 for my little 11ft speedboat, it's about time eh?

Best to all,
Robert (Alajoyn)
Portage Michigan

Attachments

the paper boy

Jan 8, 2010
CA. Placentia
Wow that is one super nice set up. i would like to build another bike with a motor on it but dont have the money right now but anyway i would like to see a video of that becasue that would be awsome if you can do that? so have a good time on that nice bike you have built.flg.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
VERY nice, that is "off the wall" And you even "let" the passenger pay for the gas!

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
Fantastic looking Tandem I have wanted to see one done for a long time now. Great job. now you can add 2 side cars and carry a family of 4. Video of it in action would be great to see.