35-40 MPH, Really?

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I got rid of most of the vibrations on my bike and i can cruise at 30mph, thats fast enough for me on a bike. I weight 125lbs on a 26" cruiser bike with a 48cc engine and
44t sprocket. If you want to go a little faster you could get a smaller rear sprocket. I prefer my 44t cause i dont have to peddal not even to take off. I switched my rear coaster break wheel with a mountain bike wheel(still using wide cruiser tire). and i switch my front cruiser fork for a mountainbike fork with shocks and front brakes(brakes work great).
I tryed that not using the peddles thing and my clutch pads lasted a good month if that.

guero_loco

Dec 4, 2009
key west,fl
ofc - and in many ways yer right cept...

I believe guero_loco was talkin' bout the idle set screw - I think mistakenly under the impression it does anything other than set yer idle - and the sad fact that some builds (including mine) need the "idler", idle pulley, tensioner... w/e ya wanna call it.

It wasn't so much yer comment but the both combined that left me a lil speechless lol, it's all good ;)
oops mechanically inclined but not educated thanx for the knowlege

lilhog

Dec 25, 2008
florida
If your riding without rear brakes be careful on the turns when the streets are wet or sandy. you might bail! Get some rear brakes. slow down with both brakes before the turn. then use the rear brake most (or only) while turning. Your skin and bones, and the car behind will thank you!

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
If your riding without rear brakes be careful on the turns when the streets are wet or sandy. you might bail! Get some rear brakes. slow down with both brakes before the turn. then use the rear brake most (or only) while turning. Your skin and bones, and the car behind will thank you!

i rode my bike for a year with just front brakes, i went all through last winter with just front brakes, the snow and anything slippery was scary because i had to go completely straight while braking,
i recently put on some rear brakes, so this winter will be better, i actually put rear brakes on yesterday,

gian

Jun 30, 2009
vancouver
i had 1 before ,i was new to gas bike. i bought the 80cc kit w/ the 44tooth i hit 28mph ,but when i assembled another gas bike they include 36t instead of 44t so im lucky, i really cant believe it that i can go more faster than 28mph i hit 37.5mph at full throttle for 8sec . im 5'4 125lbs oil mixture 27:1 . im on my 10th tank of gas. engine not modified

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
exercise your lungs and try a ten speed road bike. 5th gear is like high gear opn a mountain bike. i hit 25mph going on a slight uphill incline without an engine.... i hit 30 on a mountain bike no problem on flat ground... but then again i use a bicycle to keep my lungs in good shape.

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
44t = 27mph just as the engine sounds scary i swithched to a 34t now i can keep up with 30 mph traffic going up a steep hill but of course i have to peddle and the engine dosent sound like its in a good rpm range.

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
wow 50-75 miles in a day sounds farther then ive done although my uncle used to travel some crazy distance like that coming from the mountains to go to school. i miss my 28 and some fraction of an inch rims that came on the good road bikes.. they were almost 29 inch.. i cant find the tires anymore... 29er road bikes are crazy expensive to expensicve for somthing i know somebody is gonna try to steal.... it would be nice to put a 52 or 54 tooth chain ring on a mountain bike and possibly find tires that have a continuous raised ridge like the some road bike tires have for speed... the ridge is so thier is less tire on the ground.... i wonder if it would be possible to get the same speed on a mountain bike this way as compared to a road bike.. road bike rims dont last me long... i like riding down stairs

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
im tall and i dont much like the way 27" or smaller road bikes look on me.... i like the bigger tires they seem to have a better center of gravity. i like to put my intire body into it when i peddle fast i also throw the bike side to side to get better leverage when im racing somebody and accelerating... i only sit on he seat when im at cruising speed, coasting, or just plane tired.... thiers a reason besides looks that some people like bikes with smaller frames and lower seat hight besides me... bmx'ers for instance

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
I was also considering a 700c road bike but went off the idea for the wheel strength so i got a kona lava dome for very cheap and ran 1.5" road tyres. You can run a remarkable average speed on it. I run it as a single speed to cut down on drag, problem is i live in a very hilly area so the gear I chose is just good enough to get me up the steepest hills but this means you can pedal no more than about 25mph on the flat. Downhill i think im freewheeling at around 35mph. I use an 18" frame as I need to move around as you mentioned.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The name of this thread should be "Another stream of conciousness thread".

Talk about a convoluted thread that has gone from 35-40 really? to out in left field, almost back to 35-40 really? then off again into another orbit.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
At 30 Mph When My Cigar`s Get Too Short, The Ashe`s Blow Into My Eyes. When I Start My Rides And The Fresh Smoke Is Full Length, With The Added Length Of My Rare Cigar Holder It`s More Gooder. With Holder In The Corner Of My Mug It Sticks Out Past My Ear. At 35 Mph The Burn Rate Is Too Fast. Burns 4 Cigar An Hour (cph) If I Inhaled, The Cost Would Be Prohibative. Don`t Put That In Your Hat And Smoke It. Ronnie

Attachments

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
they make a device for this type of situation but for cigs.. its a glass tube that your lit cigarette sits in and it acts as a wind screen....

rotted

Dec 10, 2009
new mexico
i dont personaly know anybody that uses a one speed bike i like gears, wher i live east is uphill west is down hill north and south is fairly flat ground.... my little brother can peddle faster then what my engine can do with a 44t sprocket he has a speedo i had him clock my top speed. also a chic on a ten speed blew me off the road when i was using a 44t... but you know what a single speed chain is working fine with my 7 speed gear cluster.... although i would be willing to swithc to a 13t single speed sprocket if i could get the right gearing if it would allow me to peddal 30mph or slightly faster

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Rotted, I Was Thinking A Heaver Chain Mite Be Desireable. I Use 5 Of The 7 Sprockets On The Rear Cassette. I Have The Extra Large 34 Tooth Cassette Cog For Starting. The Cassette Came Off My Tandem Bike. I Sure Enjoy My Diy Titan Shifter Bike. Weigh Over 300, So I Need The Gears. Had It Up To 32 Mph With Gps Mounted On Bike. Scary Fast For Me. I Could Use A Mason Jar!! Ron .cvlt1

Attachments

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
i dont personaly know anybody that uses a one speed bike i like gears, wher i live east is uphill west is down hill north and south is fairly flat ground.... my little brother can peddle faster then what my engine can do with a 44t sprocket he has a speedo i had him clock my top speed. also a chic on a ten speed blew me off the road when i was using a 44t... but you know what a single speed chain is working fine with my 7 speed gear cluster.... although i would be willing to swithc to a 13t single speed sprocket if i could get the right gearing if it would allow me to peddal 30mph or slightly faster
I find 32:15 gives me the best chain tension (as i don't have horizontal dropouts and don't want to run any kind of chain tensioner). People usually recommend 2:1 for off road or if particularly steep 32:17 or 32:18. On the road however you can go reasonably upto around 48:16 but this is hard work in hilly areas. I would recommend anyone to try it, it is great having a bike that makes no noises and has no flex or skip in drive, it also seems good for fitness because you just get on with it and pedal rather than make things easy for yourself.

Sparks66

Nov 4, 2009
San Jose, Ca
This post is about going 35-40 mph on a motorized bicycle. I have a road bike and a mt. bike and ride them but I don't care about how fast I can go on them. It's about the motor bike!

Status
Not open for further replies.