Wheel problems

GoldenMotor.com

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Hey all, I keep having problems with my rim and spokes. The first time I didn't check my sprocket adapter and it came loose and snapped 3 spokes, that was my fault.

This time I had that wheel laced with new spokes and trued at Ski rack sports. Then I bolted the adapter back on super tight this time with red Loctite.

The adapter wont budge but somehow my wheel came out of true? I don't understand how. Its not so bad I cant run the bike but its annoying to keep dealing with the bike bending the wheel. This is the third time its destroyed a rear wheel.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
The shop may have trued the wheel perfectly but the torque of the engine has pulled the spokes out of adjustment. Now is the time for you to get a spoke wrench and true the wheel, now that it has been subjected to the torque.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
Ive never trued a wheel last time I tried I ruined it. Do you leave the wheel on the bike?

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Cylon, I know you prefer multi-speed rear hubs. Trouble your having is the wheel and 14g spokes are not heavy duty enough. If you could go with a minimum 12g spoke in a single wall steel wheel you would be less prone to these wheel problems. Just my 2 cents. Others may disagree. Look at these and call. See if they will not lace one with 12g spokes for ya.
http://www.huskybicycles.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=hb&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=26w

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I ended up getting the wheel true from watching YouTube videos and buying the tool from Pats bike shop. Right after I trued the wheel I rode to work and then the motor quit. I'll be posting a tread soon with pictures of this engine. Gotta replace it before work tomorrow it's all I got right now.

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Good stuff getting that wheel trued, I knew you could do it. You may have to tweak them over time as the spokes settle in but you got the tool and the skills now.

On to the engine now. sorry to hear that part. We'll keep an eye out for the new thread and help all we can.

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
And, Allen, I'm pretty sure that husky site has freewheels with 12 guage ready to purchase. I was looking at them a couple of months ago. Good price too if I recall.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Just chiming in: I wouldn't recommend using LokTite on the sprocket fasteners...ESPECIALLY RED. You'll have a heck of a time getting those off when you will eventually need to. My method is to install the sprocket by gradually tightening the nuts/bolts in a circular pattern, alternating as I go. There are 9 holes, so I go 1-3-5-7-9-2-4-6-8. Keep going around until they're all well fastened. Ride a few miles...re-tighten...check alignment...check spokes. Do this a few more times over a week of riding, and your sprocket and wheel should be settled in.

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
My sprocket bolts on to the hub with just two bolts I've already taken it off ones with the loctite it works good. I don't use a rag joint anymore.

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
1, buy 12g spokes....... 2, buy a thread roller tool that way you just buy full length spokes an cut an thread them yourself .......... 3, follow this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caCloMziaCk&index=2&list=PLxV2lVC0PI2HXIR1xbuOjhZI8IiwrIt4d 4, do regular truing/spoke tightening/checkups to tighten spokes, just tighten all the nipples on one side a 1/4 turn then do the other side (use the valve hole as start point to make it easier to remember where you started)..........5, an this is optional build a second wheel as a spare/backup especially if you use your bike as your main form of transport...........6, having the tools an know how to build an true wheels means you can make a little $$$ on the side..............

good luck...........