Greeting from the gulf coast of Florida!

GoldenMotor.com

Tinkerbot

Sep 6, 2015
Sarasota
Hi Everybody,

My name is Chris, and I live in Sarasota, which is just south of Tampa.
Sarasota is where everybody's grandparents' grandparents come to retire : )

I have loved motorized bicycles long before I even knew what a motorized bicycle was.
when I was a chubby 8 year old, I had the idea of adding magnets to the wheel of my bike, and and electro-magnet on the frame, and turning it on/off in time with the wheel spinning. When I told my dad about my idea he said "congratulations, you invented the electric motor" :p

When I became a dad, I sold my motorcycle (wife was not a fan)

She never said anything about motorized bicycles though...

Unfortunately, I'm always so busy with work, and family that I don't have a lot of time for hobbies. But I like thinking through mechanical problems, and different ways of doing things.

I've been lurking around here for a while now, and I'm so impressed with talent of the members here. You all make some awesome bikes!

For now, I have a Schwinn beach cruiser that i'd like to stretch similar to the Surf City bike, and maybe add a large 4 stroke, with a variable speed belt drive.
If money were no object, I'd love to mount a radial r/c engine to something!

Thanks in advance for helping this noob (Curtisfox) has already answered questions of mine, and I look forward to posting some pics soon!

Chris
(Tinkerbot)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome Chris. The west coast is being well represented lately. I just welcomed a new member from Ft. Myers.

We're always here to answer your questions, and you'll have them, and always ready to see a new build come to completion. Let us know if we can help. Getting advice from the likes of Curtis is a step in the right direction.

Good luck and have fun with your first motorized bicycle.

Tom

Tinkerbot

Sep 6, 2015
Sarasota
Thanks, Tom

I bought a Roxie donor bike from a guy who told me that all his men's cruisers are bought up by someone from Ft. Meyers who motorizes, and then sells them.
Sounds like a good way to turn a fun hobby into work :(
Either way, the more MB's on the road, the better!

A friend gave me a early 70's RD 250 motor that I've pulled apart to see how it works, and giving it a bath.

I bet it would fit in a Basman frame nicely if I stiffened it up a bit.

That might be a little ambitious for my first build.... pretty much a motorcycle.

Maybe I'll start with something a little more reasonable : )

The search is on, and I'll bet acquiring all the parts is half the fun!

Chris

Last edited:

Tinkerbot

Sep 6, 2015
Sarasota
Oh no!
I've only been on here a few day, and I've already made a rookie mistake!
I've been reading threads that others have posted about mounting ridiculously overpowered motors on bicycle frames, and you're absoloutely right, Tom.
Why not just buy a motorcycle?!?!
Maybe I'll save my pennies and get a hardknock bobber kit when the kids are grown, and I finally retire.
Please forgive my ignorant statement, I obviously have a lot to learn...
I certainly didn't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Chris

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wow, Chris. I'm not sure what you're referring to. I don't recall telling you to buy a motorcycle. :)
There was a time in the past when I made that statement but I have since declined to offer that advice to anyone. There are lots of reasons people want to install big engines on bicycles and who am I to question their decisions?

As for you making a "rookie mistake", I have to disagree. We all started as rookies and we've all asked questions. Yours are not considered an "ignorant statement". No way, no how, not by anyone here.

Motorcycles are great and have some advantages over motorized bicycles but our bikes are unique in many ways and when you build your first one you'll quickly appreciate the differences. The main one being that you can say, "I built that". How many motorcycle owners can say that? :)

Tom

Tinkerbot

Sep 6, 2015
Sarasota
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I've been digging pretty deep into the archives, and I saw where you, and others have said something like that, but it was a pretty long time ago. But I agree! When I saw that I said, of course! These bicycles were never meant to withstand the force and power a 2 stroke 250 puts out! I don't think I'd trust something that I built with that much power.
So, I thought, I probably shouldn't have said that. I didn't want to be "that guy".
You've been very kind and welcoming, and I appreciate that.