Hello from Cali! New here, and a complete n00b to this

GoldenMotor.com

Mannhammer21

May 24, 2015
California
Hello from Cali! New here, and a complete n00b to this, but I'm determined to build my own board track racer. So if you got any tips, or comments then I'm all ears. Starting from scratch here so all help is welcome. Thanks in advance!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the community. That's an ambitious goal for your first motorized bicycle project but it can be done. Read a lot and ask if you have questions. Check out our BTR section for detailed help too.

Good luck.

Tom

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Hi Mann,
Being new at this I can tell you what would have helped me out- it's still fresh in muh mind.
Get a steel frame with standard size frame tubes with plenty of room in the V, rims with 36 heavy gauge spokes, don't get sucked into any tires fatter than 2.2" or 55mm or a jackshaft you will be a-needing, solidly mount your engine and solder all your connections. Spring for tuffy tire liners if you hate walking like I do. Plan for and budget in some half way decent brakes (I still need one).
Do all that and you'll be way ahead of me when I started on my bike.
These guys know everything right down to which rod goes with which piston on the china dolls, if that is the engine you're planning to use.
There are many sharp 4 stroke riders, too.
You are in the right place to get it built smoothly, so feel free to ask.
~regards!

Mannhammer21

May 24, 2015
California
Thanks guys I appreciate it!!! and yes I'll be asking around a lot of questions, and reading the already establishesd threads maybe I can find some answers there.

Last edited:

Mannhammer21

May 24, 2015
California
Welcome to the community. That's an ambitious goal for your first motorized bicycle project but it can be done. Read a lot and ask if you have questions. Check out our BTR section for detailed help too.

Good luck.

Tom
Yeah I know it's an ambitious project specially since I have no mechanical experience I'm going at this like a new born baby gotta learn everything from scratch, but I'm confident in myself, and what I can accomplish.

Mannhammer21

May 24, 2015
California
Hi Mann,
Being new at this I can tell you what would have helped me out- it's still fresh in muh mind.
Get a steel frame with standard size frame tubes with plenty of room in the V, rims with 36 heavy gauge spokes, don't get sucked into any tires fatter than 2.2" or 55mm or a jackshaft you will be a-needing, solidly mount your engine and solder all your connections. Spring for tuffy tire liners if you hate walking like I do. Plan for and budget in some half way decent brakes (I still need one).
Do all that and you'll be way ahead of me when I started on my bike.
These guys know everything right down to which rod goes with which piston on the china dolls, if that is the engine you're planning to use.
There are many sharp 4 stroke riders, too.
You are in the right place to get it built smoothly, so feel free to ask.
~regards!
Thank SLogger, I appreciate the tips man. I'll definitely look into it later on today or tomorrow. Just kind of waiting for summer to get here so I can take break from college and get to building this thing. Hopefully I can get most if not all done in 3 months, I know it seems kind of a short period of time, but that's all the free time I will have to do this, until I go back to college again in mid august.

Mannhammer21

May 24, 2015
California
Btw I'm looking to build a 1920s replica of a Board Track Racer. I've seen the forums and started reading some stuff here, and there but not sure how to go about it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would really appreciate it.