Race tire?

GoldenMotor.com

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I’ve run many tires and am 100% confident in the Maxxis Hookworm. I have 7 races on one set. I don’t run my race bikes on the street, not even to the liquor store. Thus, I have only race bikes.

Those tires look good, but you won’t know until you race them. 3 things I look for is tread pattern, no leading edge from the transition to sidewall, and width, my bike needs a 2.1 width, 2.6 and I get lots of chain rub. They look like they might be a lower cost alternative. I’m curious to hear how they run. I'm sure if you get the correct tire pressure you'll be fine.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i use a different v-rubber tire and they are a little greesy i'm slow but the fast guy's said they were slipery. the hookworm is the best. no more 24'' hooks scotto runs 24'' cyclops and likes them and they look like the hooks and are $15 or so online. dennis

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
im trying out some panaracer , ribmo tires 26x2.0
i dont race but they work very well,, smooth quiet & very sticky
excellent puncture protection
but real expensive ..sorry
only a few miles on the streets but seems to perform really well , they have a domed feature about them seems helpful for getting in & out of curves

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that tire looks interesting, but kinda cheap. might wanna get an extra one, just in case. you don't wanna end up like magrider in tucson. he ran schwalbe kojacks and wore through the tire before the final.

the imprinted v-twin is kinda cool. not as cool as the hello kitty slicks, though...:)

hookworms are about the best, and still available in 26's.

i've used kenda kiniptions before, too, and they work really well.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
forgot, or tried to forget about Tuscon, that was a long drive not to race the final, bring xtra everything. don't use Kojaks, Michelins are slippery. Like Dennis says,Scotto said the Cyclops are comparable to hookworms I think he said same manufacture

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've tried a few differnt tires & I'm currently using Maxxis Hookworms on my racer; but I've read a lot of good things about the Kenda Kiniptions... They have hard rubber in the center & soft rubber on the sides for turns!

I had 3G 'Slicky G's' on a street bike that I used as a back up bike in the last race, & they actually worked pretty good. :D

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I wonder if a skinny Schwalbe Kojak would survive on the front wheel of a bike, since I have two I need to burn through on the motobike eventually.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I ordered 2 pair of CST Cyclops.
That's what I was going to recommend you try.
You made the right choice on price and scotto won the Unlimited race
on them with his very powerful 212 cc Predator.

PS: Not all the fast guys use hookworms.
Arrow Motorized Cycles uses a rather flat profiled Kenda Sun bicycle tire
but because they are 24" they cost about $30? each.
check out some pics.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

check out some pics.
And guess what arrived on my front porch a few days ago? Yep, another 2 pair of CST Cyclops in all-black 24" @ $11.37 each + shipping. I'm not sure if Cheng Shin has discontinued this 24" tire yet or not, but you can't beat the price for a good performance tire........period.

dnut

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.

check out some pics.
The fact he won on them and the price were the two big factors. Although tires arent all that big of a deal since neither my son or I have raced these before and we wont know the track as well as most others our first time out. It will help we raced karts and I raced midgets and other things but motorized bicycle racing is a big left turn for us! Im still not sure if we will make the next race but I am working hard and I hope to pull this off.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Although tires arent all that big of a deal since neither my son or I have raced these before and we wont know the track as well as most others our first time out.

It will help we raced karts and I raced midgets and other things but motorized bicycle racing is a big left turn for us! Im still not sure if we will make the next race but I am working hard and I hope to pull this off.
The June 1st 2 year Anniversary race will be going Clockwise which
we have only done once before so you will be on as even a footing as
it gets.
We normally race CCW so it's a whole new track which has to be learnt
from scratch for everyone.

See you there!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
even though I don't race my stretch,,,
I am looking at these
http://www.amazon.com/CST-Cyclops-Tire-Black-Steel/dp/B00AKYJXHM/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1
can anyone give info on how well they wear ???
I am thinking of using 26x2 carcasses (serfas drifters wth the bead cut off) as tire liners
any advice/suggestions ???
Hey Bill, they wear well and I wouldn't worry about tire liners unless thorns are a problem (or cactus) where you ride.

At that price you can buy 2 sets of tires for the price of one........how can you go wrong ? :D

dnut

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
even though I don't race my stretch,,,
I am looking at these
http://www.amazon.com/CST-Cyclops-Tire-Black-Steel/dp/B00AKYJXHM/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1
can anyone give info on how well they wear ???
I am thinking of using 26x2 carcasses (serfas drifters wth the bead cut off) as tire liners
any advice/suggestions ???
I dont know if you have ever seen these tire liners but they work great and come in diff sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Tuffy-Bicycle-Tire-Liner/dp/B0048LO6BQ