Heat issues

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
So the heat from the wrap causes the exhaust gases to expand faster, thus pushing itself out much faster as opposed to cooler gases just moseying out on their own time?
That's the theory and what you are basically saying, right?

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
basically yes and in turn it pulls heat away from the head. the one thing Im not sure about is the x pipe in relation to the wrap that is one thing 4 strokes do not have or need.

chevelle454

Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Hold on one second here. The point of the insulation is to keep the pipe hot at that point, which keeps the gasses hot, and moving at a faster rate due to thermal expansion. The gasses are pulled away from the head sooner and have less time for energy transfer. This prevents heat soak and can lower head temperatures by a few degrees or so; this is the reason it is good in a 4 stroke/turbo. So you guys are totally right on that. In a 2 stroke with an expansion chamber, gasses are being "pushed" back towards the exhaust port, somewhat sealing it. Note that these gasses may even enter back into the cylinder, or be against a closed piston depending on timing and pipe design. The time for energy transfer in this situation is increased, and will raise heat in the engine. I would not recommend using thermal wrap on a 2 stroke exhaust, especially with an expansion chamber. (A little background on myself-I am in school for engineering and have a 4.0, as well as 103% in thermodynamics; I hope I don't sound like a total tool with that, but I figured it's worth something.) Also i would recommend "rolling your own" CDI, there are many benefits including longevity and power.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
chevelle thank you Im new to 2 strokes and that was my own worries but I did not know I only knew what Ive seen on 4 strokes.

chevelle454

Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
no worries man, I'm just here to help as much as I can. Not too long ago I didn't know much about them. i'd suggest the Graham Bell book on two stroke tuning, it covers a lot of topics and is very helpful