Genesis Onyx 29 arrived!

GoldenMotor.com

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Damn!
It looks like nothing fits with these kits!
First it was the sprocket, which does not fit perfectly but somehow I managed to fit it.
Second the motor mounts (wheren't these kits made for beach cruisers???, seemingly not, they're for mountain bikes).
Third, I can not gear the motor, unless if I take a special divider that uses a mountain bike's pedal gears.
4- The throttle does not install on these things (due to handlebar being 1" instead of 7/8"),
5- The water bottle holder can not be mounted together with the engine
6- The saddle is hard
7- There's no out of the box solution for the brakes (no easy fix on putting a disc brake on the front)
8- No easy solution on front fork damping.
9- The brakes of the Onyx 29 brake like CRAP!
10- Engine kits almost always come with sprockets that need to be replaced; so more money there.
11- The 1 gallon tank uses a different hose system than the one provided with the 0.5 gal tank
12- Both the 1 gal, and the 1/2 gal tank don't fit (and can't be mounted on the top bar without modification).

So all in all, it was a pretty lousy purchase, despite all the research I've done about it!

Sucks!
Being tall sucks!
Perhaps there where less problems with a generic 26" bike.
And then when you finally do get one built your lucky if it runs good for a month before you have to troubleshoot and/or rebuild the whole dang thing. Replace part after part after part replace motor replace this replace that on and on and on. Better get your wallet out!lol

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
about the handle bars, bike shops will sell you a 7/8 to 1.0 inch split bushing for cheap. I am using motorcycle clubman bars on the Black Ox with a bushing

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
hey prodigit, we told you it was going to be a **** of a build, but it's worth it. I really dig mine, even with the front brakes modified like I have the pads still wear out too fast. I need to figure out a new front brake setup myself, or at least get some better pads.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Yes,
a front disc brake is what I need as well!
If you have any experience you want to share with us, please let me know.
I went to the bike dealer, and he told me to replace the front fork of a beach cruiser with a fork that has damping (suspension) on it, and a disc brake, I'd be looking at a $400 pricetag. I told him that the bike costed $129, so I wasn't going to spend more than triple the price of the bike on a front suspension.

Different handlebars is the next thing I'm looking at. The store said there where no convertor pieces from 1" to 7/8", but then again, the guy is an old rut, probably not aware of the newest things, and probably does not do in chinese stuff either..

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
If you wanna go the cheapest route, seriously. Go find an old bike someone locked up and left there and take the handlebars off it. No-one will mind if it's old and no-one uses it. I live in a college town so there are lots of bike laying around. that 400$ suspension would be a lot better than my "two-nine" stock ones. The brake pads wear out FAST. and the shock absorbing capabilities are really not that noticable. To me anyway. I have to find some new pads today. In my personal opinion. I would go buy the 2-9 again. I'm not promoting them or anything, but the 2-9's front end really saves a lot of headache. if only there were some way to buy the "Genesis 2-9" front end all by itself. I wen't to there website and I saw nothing of a parts section.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
I just tried the 32T, and indeed, like people say, the engine does not have enough torque to kickstart, I'd have to pedal my heart out of my chest to get it going. And even then, it does not seem to accelerate much past 10-15MPH.

I still have a 36T, and a 41T, which would you guys suggest?

Either one of them is going to be an improvement.

I also have another issue, the engine is stalling when the throttle is left alone, I always have to rev the throttle. I already set the adjustment screw for the throttle cable to the max, and it's still dying.
I also need to ride with choke on, or otherwise it just never starts. Any ideas what might be happening?

tom1850

Apr 9, 2013
Southern California
If you are building a motorized Onyx Genesis 29er you should watch this video to see what needs to be done to get it right. The wheels should be completely replaced using an Grubee Rear Hub, rear fender cut to avoid chain, etc. In the end it is a much better idea to purchase someone elses build as part by part it gets to expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4esWcQTAEw0

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
If you are building a motorized Onyx Genesis 29er you should watch this video to see what needs to be done to get it right. The wheels should be completely replaced using an Grubee Rear Hub, rear fender cut to avoid chain, etc. In the end it is a much better idea to purchase someone elses build as part by part it gets to expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4esWcQTAEw0
This video is an excellently engineered bike, but it cost a ton. I like the concept of a hybrid engine on a bike but I have to ask why the mechanical motion of pedaling and the gas motor running doesn't charge the battery. Also, the battery is huge. If it were me I would use the battery as not only a starting power source but also find a way to charge It when it's dis-engaged. Other than that I really like the build. Just goes to show, that onyx frame is worth the effort. I can only wonder if his is capable of starting from a dead stop with alll that power under the hood.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I would recommend the 41 tooth or a 44 tooth. The bigger wheels need a bigger sprocket. Never mind the grubee wheels== rippoff.

tom1850

Apr 9, 2013
Southern California
This video is an excellently engineered bike, but it cost a ton. I like the concept of a hybrid engine on a bike but I have to ask why the mechanical motion of pedaling and the gas motor running doesn't charge the battery. Also, the battery is huge. If it were me I would use the battery as not only a starting power source but also find a way to charge It when it's dis-engaged. Other than that I really like the build. Just goes to show, that onyx frame is worth the effort. I can only wonder if his is capable of starting from a dead stop with alll that power under the hood.
You are correct it did cost quite a bit. The 700 watt motor only added 450.00 with everything but I would not recommend anyone build a bike from the ground up as building a bike al a carte is not worth it. I find it is better to find a bike that someone else is bored with and who already spent the money.... get it at a great price and then do upgrades. I bought this Whizzer a few weeks ago for 1/4th of what I had in the Genesys.

http://76.12.40.116/whizzer/smimages/whizzer.htm

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
I'm not too fond of too big sprockets. They tend to drop MPG. I just need enough initial inertia to get the bike going, and enough torque to accelerate.
At 32T, and with 29" wheels, you're literally balancing the two on a thin wire. The least wind blowing from the opposite direction will make the bike stall.

Definitely 36T will be better, however I think I might go with the 41T.

Once the engine does more than 1300rpm, then the bike starts taking off; as torque builds up.

At 1300RPM, changing from 32T to 36T only brings the RPMs to ~1460. I don't think the 160RPM will make much difference.
The 41T will run at ~1660 RPM, the added 330 RPM might be good enough.

41T it is then!

Last edited:

teacee

May 6, 2013
usa
So the Genesis Onyx 29 arrived.
First impressions:

Ez to install,
no user manual,
no toolkit
no fixed size bolts, all bolts, and nuts, and allen wrench things are all in different sizes.. Many curses continuously switching between tools!
Fixed the bike in 30 minutes,
EZ-Peasy setup.
Handlebars setup sucked, because my 7/32 nor my 1/4 wrench did not fit in the hole. It was probably a 6mm; and one of the screws got messed up pretty bad. The other's in good shape, so I can't lower or higher the handlebars anymore! Sucks!

The Onyx 29 is quite tall!
It's made for giants!
I'm 6'2", and on this bike I feel like I'm floating above all other traffic!
I can see above the roofs of most cars, and even a bit above the SUV's sitting on this bike, so I had to lower the saddle.
The saddle is big, but not very comfy. It's too hard for my taste. I'll be changing it soon!
I'm glad I didn't go for the 32" version.

Getting tires for the 32 might be a bit hard.

Acceleration is remarkably slow! Almost as if pedaling causes the rear brakes to function at the same time!
I feel most comfy going 7-10MPH on the bike (about 1-2 wheel rotations per second), because I'm not a fast spinner of the pedals dnut
Never was, that's why I had my 21 geared mountain bike at home, and generally only pedaled at the highest gear.

This bike will be good for getting the bike going.

The coaster brake works really bad!
It's probably the same system as for a 26, 24, and 22 in bike.
Since the wheels are so large, the brakes work really bad...
The bike does not have additional braking.

I'm still looking for a disc brake that would fit the front wheel.
I'm also waiting for the engine to arrive.
I have ordered the 66cc engine, with needle bearings, and 32T sprocket.
The extra 16cc of power/torque will get converted into speed, with this one.

That'll be all!
Get ready to by extra long bolts for the mounting bracket and the handlebars are 1" so you will have to switch out the handlebars or do what I did and found a 1"throttle on ebay or where ever you can find one.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
mounting brackets fitted fine, I have purchased the universal mounting kit.
Handlebars, I installed a 7/8 handlebars, which initially fitted perfectly, but the teeth start wearing out, and now it's kind of loose; so I have to find a solution to that.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I went to Wally World today and they had two Onyx cruisers. I would have to say, they are massive. I'm 5'10" (in shoes) and with the seat all the way down I was comfortable.