Lengthen wheelbase on boardtrack?

GoldenMotor.com

bordtrack

Sep 15, 2011
Orange, CA
Since I'm a first time poster, I heard that I could not post pictures until my 3rd post, so this is #1! My first build is coming along great; HT engine on modified frame of 1954 Texas Ranger Special (Western Flyer??). New wheels and Bontrager tires, but have clearance issues with the tire rubbing on the frame, so I will have to cut the rear section off and reconfigure. But while I'm at it, I could potentially stretch the rear back if I wanted to. Any thoughts on this? Yea or Nay? (Will post pics after my 3rd post!)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Welcome Bordtrack.....Nice bike, great start. I really like it, but if you are changing the rear section i think the upper rear chainstays would look better if they were straight and not curved.

I love those tyres

bordtrack

Sep 15, 2011
Orange, CA
I agree. They definitely have to go. I'm actually looking at them right now trying to decide how I'm going to put in some new straight tubing.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I don't know, the curvedness has a nice look too. It's your choice. Strait would be stronger. You could easily make longer curved or strait seat stays and elongate the chain stays. Length is critical to the proper look of these bikes. I was 74" from outside tire to outside tire and it still wasn't long enough. After I lengthened the front fork I got it to 77" and it's great now. Lurkers new build is going to be 80". When you place the engine in the bike and put all the rest of the "motorcycle" stuff on the bike will look like a midget if you don't lengthen it appropriately.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
If that upper bracket between the seatstays is the only problem, and if you have a Dremel or similar, it seems you could safely and gradually remove a little metal there to better accommodate your tire. If it rubs elsewhere too, you may have to stick with "Plan A".