Rack mount HF

GoldenMotor.com

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Ok so I started late last year on my bike. My plan is to build a low geared pulling machine. I got side track with fishing so here I am, almost done with my reduction (lacking a couple pieces of aluminum). My problem is I don't want to make my order of metal until I know what material I am going to use for the rack. I was thinking about using aluminum for the rack but I am not sure how thick I should go on the legs. Steel is an option but the question still remains how thick should the legs be.

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Looks like I am going with steel (3/16) that way I can weld it. I have a coworker looking for a piece of channel for me. He designes the elevators for aircraft carriers and thinks there might be some in the scrap yard. I think the rest of my metal will be in late next week, I just put the order in today.

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Thanks Dan nice to know someone is watching.

Well I did a little work on the reduction today. I am getting closer but still have a good bit of work to do. I hope to have the reduction mounted to the motor by mid-week next week., Then I can work on getting the motor mounted to the bike.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lookin' great Felton. I am working on a thing where I have to run 2 shafts like yours. Are those just simple collars? If so, can ya say where you got them. I am planning on Granger's but am curious. Also, what are you using for bearings? My lil puzzle is I have to go from shaft, to clutch and am not sure how to secure it all.

"I'm watching :) And I like what I see .wee.[/QUOTE]

(In Spanish accent) For El Linko is always watching! Dave, dunno why that cracks me up. We gotta make that a tee shirt. Just noticed you changed your nic.

Last edited:

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
I was able to get the rest of my spacing on today. All I have left with my tranny is little more cutting, drill mount holes and finish my belt tensioner. Then I can get to work on mounting the motor

Last edited:

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
I ran into a little problem today. My motors rpms will not go low enough to let my centi clutch stay disengage. When I cranked it up a week ago I didn't have any problem but the belt was not on. Now the belt is on and I can't get it low enough without stalling. When I idled it down with the idle screw the clutch will disengage then engage ext... until it dies.

The red springs that I have are suppose to engage between 1800-2000 rpms. Should I just go up to the brown springs 2200-2400 rpms.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow. with a tach, mine idle happily between 1400 and 1500. Can set em to 1200 but stalls at lights. Dunno what to advise. Do you have a tach? I would check that. Going up to engaging at 22/24K would take a lot of usable function out of your RPM range. I have found they pretty much top out around 5K RPM. Am just typing out loud here.

Side note, ya got me going on my own HF rack mount. Thanks a lot. Now have 3 projects going, snork. (Had a spare engine and just got a deal on a MaxTourq driver and driven clutch portions)

If you don't have a tach, there is an "indestructibles" on how to make one from a bicycle speedo. Is pretty cool but I have yet to make one. Tachometer made from a bicycle speedometer (cyclocomputer)

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Thanks Dan I was able to get it down this morning by turning the flat head screw almost all the way out. I put my green springs (1300-1500 rpms) on and it still does not engage allthough it is close. I may have to go back to the red springs.

Glad I can inspired someone. lol What are you going to use for your mount. I think I might have been a little better off going with a comet torq-a-verter (torque converter) and a sleeve to make it fit 5/8 shaft. I think it would have cost me about $30-40 more but it would have been worth it.

Last edited:

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
Well the green springs were too light. I put the red spings back on and it is perfect. I will try to get a picture up today.

Ok here we go...

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, "Beast Master" lookin'! Like it

Your springs fit in a valley? That had to be tuff swapping them around.

How is your final shaft secured? Is it locked in by the bearings? I ask because I am leaning towards collers but adds cost and 4 more things that can go wrong, lol.

"What are you going to use for your mount?" I am planning on wood as a platform (for now later to be used as a guide for steel or aluminum) Steel flat stock up-rite from the chain-stays aft to the bottom of the mounting plate. Then, from forward or closer to the seat tube, rectangular steel tubbing going up and aft to the rear of the mounting plate. One of those "gonna wing it until I remember what I forgot" sort of deals.

I am loving the ease of this. Engine, tank and muffler all together. Take it out of the box and bolt it on. Well, except for every thing that will go wrong, purty easy. Later when I am screaming and pulling my hair out, you can make fun of me.

:-||

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Felton,
Nice trans! From the size of it(materials), I was thinking a small block Chevy would work well.LOL, but stronger is better!

Mac

Felton

Dec 17, 2009
GA
No updades. Its still sitting on the bench just as you see in the last pic. I have been busy catching gators and deer season is just about to kick off, so I guess I need to get my butt in gear. I have come up with some other great ideas for future builds.

"Nice trans!" Thanks Mac lets see if I beaf up my motor mounts I just might be able to get it to work lol.

What do ya'll think about using z510hx chain?

Last edited: