Titan Vs Honda ?

GoldenMotor.com

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Well today was a break through day for me. I bought a Honda GXH50 some time ago to Test against the Titan XC50. Problem was, I had no way , no affordable way to mount and test the GXH50. The Honda is just not configured to install as easily as the Titan. But today, that changed... I met up with Bandit who just so happens has a Honda GXH50 Mounted to the Dimension edge FD system..... I am Running a TITAN XC50 with a DAX Proto type FD. Bandit rode south, I rode north about 11 miles, and we met at the intersection of Kipling and Morrison Highway. Michael is super and owns a super nice ride to be sure. Honda GXH50 with Alloy Dimension Edge FD that uses Roller Skate wheel type drive to pinch the tire using a lever. He carries with him several size rollers. His bike is a All Aluminum Mongoose with Front suspension. I was riding a CA520 Firmstrong Stretched all steel bike with the DAX all Steel Proto Type Friction drive that uses a Diamond Cut Steel Roller. We swapped bikes and took off towards the Golf course a mile or so up the road. As I pedal the bike to speed, I lowered the Dimension edge system down on to the tire by using a Large Shifter type clutch lever arm mounted to the Goose. Once lowered, there is a direct connect between the motor and the back tire via urethane pinch roller. Using a thumb throttle, I applied power and the Honda felt good and my first impression was that this Honda felt like it made good torque, maybe more than my Titan.. It felt good for sure. The Titan XC50 using the DAX FD is all automatic. Twist and go. So.. We have two different approaches to power delivery. ..... So....As I slowed down to look for Bandit, He finally caught up and said he had to stop because his hat went flying !! I said.. Lets swap back now.. And make a test.. A drag race !! Your Honda against My Titan !! He said. ok !! Lets do it !! And.. So.. We had 2 semi drags. Since the dimension edge can not start from a stop with out pedaling, we had to get up to a speed that would enable Bandit to engage his motor to the tire, at that point which was a fast walking speed or jogging pace, we then throttled up to full.. And let her rip !! Here are the results... Both times.. Honda and Titan were dead even on acceleration and torque. Eventually we would top out. It was at this point That the TITAN would pull ahead at maybe 1-2 mph faster on the Top end. Both Times, I would eventually begin to pull away on the Top. Being that the Titan would pull away with top speed could be attributed to just about anything. Since we are talking, 1-2 mph higher speed. Could be tire pressure, roller size, tire size, there are many variables here to consider. But.. No matter how slight.. I did pull away and keep pulling away, no matter how slight. So.. I would like to thank Bandit for this comparison between Honda and Titan, and drive systems as well. There are so many variations out there. The Weather was beautiful, and the company was outstanding !! Enjoy the ride !!!

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
My Main desire was to compare power plants. In this Case. It was the Honda up against the Titan. One thing I forgot to mention was the price. The Titan cost about half as much, has a semi see through tank so you can know your fuel level, comes with a clutch, has a real throttle carb "no governor to remove", and comes with a clutch as well. Bandito's Honda was made in Japan. This was a Great First Test. I will be looking forward to more of them in the future. Enjoy the ride.. :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is an interesting question. I was told (but do not know first hand) That one, GXH, is produced in the U.S. and the Honda GXV50 Engine was produced elsewhere. I have a GXH with no "Made in..." stickers on it. I really dunno 4shore and hope some one will shed some light.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
I looked at Banditos Honda and it clearly said. Made in Japan on it. I must admit, it was on the Pull start. Maybe the pull start is made in Japan, and the rest in China. Not sure. I figured since it said Made in Japan on the Pull start, it was referring to the motor. But. I could be wrong.. Who knows where all the parts and supplies for anything comes from any more.. It could be made from parts that come from all over the world !! Made in Japan from Imported and domestic parts and supplies. That could be it. Enjoy the ride...

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
We're the ones that make stuff with parts from everywhere. Japan makes most, if not all, of their stuff with Japanese parts.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
For the price of a titan you cant beat it, AZ Bill has a couple a thousand miles on his all trouble free. Bills might be the hua sheng labeled motor but the same. Im usually a skeptical person and if I can afford it I want some thing thats going to give me my moneys worth. After riding Daxes friction drive and seeing about the Titan on these boards Im sold that its a quality motor and one that should be considered.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I looked at Banditos Honda and it clearly said. Made in Japan on it. I must admit, it was on the Pull start. Maybe the pull start is made in Japan, and the rest in China. Not sure. I figured since it said Made in Japan on the Pull start, it was referring to the motor. But. I could be wrong.. Who knows where all the parts and supplies for anything comes from any more.. It could be made from parts that come from all over the world !! Made in Japan from Imported and domestic parts and supplies. That could be it. Enjoy the ride...
Dax, Mine had a sticker put over the sticker on the pull start. Just went out and removed enough of it to read. Clearly saying "Made in Japan"

Kinda bummed. Really thought it was at least assembled here.

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
When I went to hondas OEM site to look up a coil there were 6 or 7 different versions of the honda gxh50 and mine is the qxa model. There must be some differences in the models, shaft sizes are 1 I know of.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
hi.. Not sure about the 41 chain or how you plan to use it. You can call me or email me about it. for these FD systems that Bandito and I are using, we are not using any chains at all. They are chain less systems. His Honda uses the Dimension Edge system, I am using the DAX FD system proto type. I was happy that Bandito looked past my welds and fabrication and enjoyed his test ride of my DAX FD with Titan XC50. Enjoy the ride..

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thanks Dax-Mon. Will call or write later today. What I am contemplating is just a jackshaft. Driven from rt to lft to rag joint using a bolt on assembly, on the seat tube. Reducing gear via the 4 sprockets.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
Where do you even get a #41 chain clutch bell? #41 is an industrial chain. I wouldn't think there'd even be a clutch set up for it.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi, just a point here, we use #41 chain, whether with auto-clutch or with Manual. The #41 clutch bell has apparently been available since about 1970. It was commonly used on G0-Karts.

Yes the #41 is a common Industrial/material handling chain in many of it's basic applications.

Mike