What does rain do to a motorized bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

bigdreamz2000

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan
Hi, I was wondering if these Chinese motor kits could handle being driven in the rain? Would they suck water, rot the electrical, or just rust up? I have crimp butt connectors, but I should probably change to soldered shrink tubing, and I also have the Chinese bike light system, plastic LED AA battery Ebay thing. Maybe I could cover these with a ziplock bag until it stops raining. Any thoughts on this subject or experience would be interesting.

atvaholic

Jun 28, 2009
Canada
Re: What does rain do to a MB?

I think only time will tell. In my experience with trailer wiring, I would do as you suggest with the shrink tubing. One other thing I would do is silicone the snot out of the ground connector and re-apply each year. That wire is soo thin, it can loose ground quickly.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa

if your running a stock air cleaner, it shouldn't suck water, electrical should be ok and the lights should be ok.. make sure the mag cover is good and sealed tho, and you may want to put a little silicone in the hole where the wires come out

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I did at one time get water where the wires go into the mag, there is a little rubber there and it does not seal all that well.

I used some RTV and sealed it real good inside and out. And some of the gaskets for the mag cover are not always installed correctly and dont make a complete seal. Check yours to be sure that it is sealing the cover.

I use fenders both front and rear and I am sure that helps a lot. I have heard other who do not run a rear fender that the tire spray can get into the carb. You may want to put something on the seat down tube to help avoid this if you do not have a rear fender.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Big Dream,
One other area of concern where rain might be a factor is the ignition CDI, especially the high voltage lead (spark plug wire) connection. I use a small bead of black silicone gasket sealer to keep moisture out. Just dab a little on and wipe it around the wire where it screws into the CDI. The spark plug boot, if you're using the hard plastic kit supplied item doesn't look too waterproof to me either. Many of us replace it with a good quality automotive boot that will seal against the plug and keep it dry. As with any machine, long term exposure to moisture is not a good thing but with a little care, preparation and maintenance you should be able to ride your bike in all but the heaviest rain. Enjoy but ride safely.
Tom

Last edited:

Denver Dave

May 26, 2009
Queen City of the Plains

I've done the RTV things others have suggested on all the gaskets, CDI/plug wire, magneto, and probably a half-dozen other places I can't think of right now along with soldering and shrink wrapping the wire connections.

I have ridden through some intense downpours with no ill effect.

Things did tend to rust a little but since I started spraying a little Remington oil over everything every couple weeks, I haven't seen the problem worsen.

You probably want to keep things covered while it rains but if you seal everything up and keep it as dry as possible it can be done.

damdav1

Apr 14, 2009
saint charles

i got all my connections soldered term ends to ends rtv sil over any exposed place and i have found that it ruins CDIs and magnetos i have went thru 2 mags and 3 CDIs i didnt mean to be out in the rain but it keeps happening the last time motor stops cuz i was in a downpour and was soo far away i had to keep riding thats just my luck also

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado

it gets the engine and bike wet. I've had no issue with stock engine with NO mods riding in the rain or riding after I used a pressure washer to blast the crud off of it.

bigdreamz2000

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan

i got all my connections soldered term ends to ends rtv sil over any exposed place and i have found that it ruins CDIs and magnetos i have went thru 2 mags and 3 CDIs i didnt mean to be out in the rain but it keeps happening the last time motor stops cuz i was in a downpour and was soo far away i had to keep riding thats just my luck also
What is killing your mags and CDIs? The Silicone or the exposed area? Thanks for the inputs, I'll silicone my mag grommet and block the back tire spray from going up the aircleaner and into the carb/engine. I'll hold onto my stock plug boot until this one gets heated and cracked, otherwise it looks like it is sealing. The other day I drove through 1 foot of water for about 10 feet so that just my exhaust was submerged, it bubbled but did not stall and forged me successfully across.