Honda GXH50 Throttle setup

GoldenMotor.com

gdl357

May 12, 2009
montreal, QC Canada
Hi All. Fist post here.

I just got my hands on a new GXH50. I was planning on fabricating a gas operated wheelbarrow with one. I have been searching for a throttle cable control - something like what a ATV has. I can't beleive this is not made by Honda for their engines.

Please give me a link of one.

Also I would like to know why people dissable the governor on these engines. Isn't the govenor suppose to help the motor not stall when loaded?

I will be searching more on this site, but right now i am at work and would like to have an idea of whet to look for.

Thx

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
A governor is designed to keep engine RPM constant regardless of load. Why would i want that on a motorized bicycle? Cars and motorcycles do not have them. In my opinion, when using a throttle for speed control, direct control is more immediate (no waiting to speed up and slow down) and safer because when I let go of the throttle, it snaps back to idle immediately.

As for stalling...I can control the throttle to prevent stalling as well as any linkage.

For many applications, a governor is great- pumps, generators, other industrial equipment that requires constant rpm under varying load...but a motorized bike is not one of those applications.

As for your wheelbarrow, interesting project. I'm sure Honda must have made a cable control that can be fitted to the standard governor handle. In fact, all you need is a bracket to hold the cable sheath and a hole in the stock handle to mount a throttle barrel screw in.

Good luck.

gdl357

May 12, 2009
montreal, QC Canada
I appreciate your quick response. I will need to dissable the gov. on my wheelbarrow and run a cable control, or else the barrow will be out of control.

Last edited:

jimraysr

Apr 19, 2008
Glendale, AZ
A governor is designed to keep engine RPM constant regardless of load. Why would i want that on a motorized bicycle? Cars and motorcycles do not have them. In my opinion, when using a throttle for speed control, direct control is more immediate (no waiting to speed up and slow down) and safer because when I let go of the throttle, it snaps back to idle immediately.

As for stalling...I can control the throttle to prevent stalling as well as any linkage.

For many applications, a governor is great- pumps, generators, other industrial equipment that requires constant rpm under varying load...but a motorized bike is not one of those applications.

As for your wheelbarrow, interesting project. I'm sure Honda must have made a cable control that can be fitted to the standard governor handle. In fact, all you need is a bracket to hold the cable sheath and a hole in the stock handle to mount a throttle barrel screw in.

Good luck.

Actually not quite right. Cars and trucks up into the 40s had both a throttle and a manual choke.

The problem with the throttle was it was direct to the carb. and fixed. Used very often by the driver then as a manual cruse control. Automatic chokes were developed and eliminated the need for a manual one. I can recall seeing both on cars and trucks that my dad owned.

My story for using the governor is still that it senses a load change do to a climb or downgrade and adjusts accordingly. The response to the manual throttle is almost instantaneous as the governor can't hold the butterfly open when the spring goes slack and likewise opens the butterfly until the engine speed comes up to close the butterfly to maintain the new speed.

That is my story and I am sticking to it, so stick it in your pipe and smoke it. 80) =

Jim

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
A throttle and a choke do not equal a governor. A choke is a choke and a throttle that is connected to the butterfly directly is not a governor. That being said, some older vehicles (going way back) may have had governors, but it would have been because some had PTOs. I have seen older trucks with this feature. The governor holds RPM steady, not for driving, but for stationary use. To bring it forward to today, a rev limiter is not a governor either.

If you want to use a governor, fine, but it seems odd to me to hold the throttle handle steady and let the engine throttle itself up and down hills. Modern cars and motorcycles do not do that (barring cruise control, which is a different animal altogether)...but hey, you want it- use it. There's no "right" and "wrong" about the choice.

gdl357

May 12, 2009
montreal, QC Canada
There is no way you can run the GXH50 on a bike without dissabling the governor. The moment the throttle passes 1/2 way, the govn. snaps and the motor goes full throttle. I just ran the motor for 1 minute today. I was holding it in my hands while it ran. ALMOST no vibration. WOW these Honda motors are really something.

You guys are convincing me to slap it on a bike...and drop the other project I have. I cannot let a motor like this go to waste on an item that would be used 3 hours a year like my wheelbarrow project.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy GDL. The Honda is an amazing engine. Thats Dax has a carb that will fit and makes for an easy installation of a throttle. Page Title

I did an inline spring return thing that works great but ain't real purty.

Post pics when your done!