New project for me

GoldenMotor.com

cobalert

Feb 18, 2014
San Diego CA
I just picked up a Solex bike at the swap meet here in San Diego CA. It has most of its parts so I thought I'd try my hand at fixing it up a little. After some research I found out it's a 1953 or 1954. The motor spins freely without the spark plug and shows good compression with the plug installed also has a good solid spark from the plug. My next step for such an old bike would be to find out if restoring it would hurt the value. I'm just staring at it for the moment but will probably get the motor running before I attempt buying parts. Any thoughts as to where I can find parts? I build Harleys not Solex and it's surprising how intimidating something so small can seem so complex especially after I find out it's 61 years old.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Welcome that sounds KOOOOL can't wait to see how it comes out. Don't know about the value if you restore it. I think if you just get it going with all the parts it would be cool, then you won't have to worry about scratching the paint and all that. Just ride and have fun.........Curt

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to our motorized bicycle community. we have lots of members with a lot of experience building motorized bicycles. 61 is not old, most of us are 50 plus lol. great to have you with us

cobalert

Feb 18, 2014
San Diego CA
Any ideas of who I contact and where I go to find parts for the 1953 Solex. I sucpect the fuel pump is bad and the carb could use a rebuild for starters. After I get it running it will be tire time. Thanks