My Top speed?

GoldenMotor.com

bnewman8629

Mar 20, 2009
Holland
Aloha,

Achieving higher speed is doable with these 2 strock engines. But It took me a lot of tinkering to get to the sweet spot. Along with the type of bike i'm using, I drilled 16 holes into the stock carburator; replaced the plug wire with a 8.5mm performance pw(any type of pw will do); adjust the stock plug from .040 to .025 this produces more sparks; and juiced the gasoline with a shot of octane boost (four caps full). But One thing I am finding out that is very important is to find the right amount of oil and gas mixture. On that day I made those numbers, I poured more oil mixture than usual because I wasn't measuring it. My guess is that the extra lubrication helped the piston do it's thing, push my bike to incredible speeds. The oil ratio is between 16:1 to 32:1.

Rick - Hawaii
Actually octane booster only raises your gas octane one or two points (89 to 89.1-2) What you should try is a premium with higher octane, paired with a slightly richer oil ratio. Personally im fine cruising down the road at 20 mph...

Woodstock

Mar 15, 2009
Saint Petersburg
I found that a mix of 25:1 and using regular unleaded gas with a 36 t sprocket and a gap of .028 has given me a top speed on a clear open road of 38 MPH. I get all that out of a 49 cc China import. I am 6'2 " and 205 Lbs. I have also noticed that when I changed my riding positition ( seat height and handle bar placement ) I can tweek out one or two MPH more on the top end.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i have a stock 48cc brand new,will have more power after breakin.
im using regular gas and regualar 2-stroke oil.im using a 48t spocket.
im not changing anything,except im putting a pipe/hose extension on muffler and im changing gas tank to a smaller one,i dont need to go 150miles with it.im looking for a 24-32oz tank.im having trouble with my speedo,but i think i had my bike upto 20-30mph,it might do more.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
High octane gas, or octane booster is a waste of money on these engines, and doesn't get you any higher speeds.

32 mph is good to better than average for one of these. Most go between 25-35 mph.

Shobiz1492

Feb 13, 2013
Milwaukee
see, now with my bike im running a 44t sprocket and running about 40:1 ratio of full synthetic masterpro 2 cycle oil. i can hit about 25-30 on a flat road if i put my head closer to my handlebars so i can be more aerodynamic. i was thinking of a 36t, but i wasnt sure cuz i an in a hilled area and even if i cant climb the big ones, im fine, but its the long 3 block ones i am worried about at maybe about like 20 degrees of an angle... hows that sound?

NJZ

Apr 6, 2013
Springfield IL
I was 32.8 GPS 2 mi average speed before port matching on jug and exhaust. Increasing head volume and slightly sanding down the piston and adding Hi perf wire and BP6HS, and jetting the carb to 67.

That is on a 44t

It gets there in a hurry now. Need a 40-41 to slow them revs at max cruising.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a lot depends on your weight - if you're real heavy, you might end up slower, whatever your weight, hills will be harder to get up