the yaller thang gets a springer

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
Was posting on Rickenbilly, a Cuban motorbike forum. and figured I would share here also.

> I am building a Lotus 7 type sports-car from scratch and grabbing at anything to keep from addressing the wiring mess Therefor I resurrected my Monarch bike with fresh cables and a change from 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 hp. Harbor Freight Tool Chinese engine. It drives through a bike hub Sturmey-Archer 3-speed tranny as a jackshaft. It has a Lambretta scooter carb and straight pipe formerly part of a trampoline. There is a Hodaka Ace 90 chrome fuel tank on it. The seat is 2" wide from an exercise machine. It is pretty rough riding with a rigid fork and no seat springs. Today I decided to use a spring fork I designed some time ago. It is a Schwinn blade fork backward with links pivoting to a 2nd fork on which a couple large valve springs cushion it's upward travel through a 1/4" thick 2-hole plate fastened to the rear and allowing the movement in the front hole. I used 4 shoulder bolts for pivots. It has gobs of power and quite restful to cruise on and tops out about 50 mph. Best of all, it starts well and idles nicely when the tranny free-wheels on coast. If it crators, I can psh it in freewheel without removing a belt. Final drive is #41 chain.
>