Schwin StingRay

GoldenMotor.com

tpringle

Aug 13, 2012
Michigan
I have a Schwin Stingray that I want to put a motor on for my son. I purchased a standard kit with a 2stroke 66-80cc motor from Bikeberry.com. problem Im having is when sprocket is installed the chain rubs against the rear tire and the motor sprocket is not in line with the rear spocket. I also have hand breaks on this bike on both front and back. The rear break also seems to be in the way of the chain. Is there special mounting hardware available for this bike? And suggestions on above problems will be appreciated. Thanks

JoHoR/T

Aug 25, 2012
joplin, mo
i've built 3 so far. all sold though. here is a pic. i made my own motor mount. just a flat plate and 2 pipes angled away from eachother, had to offset the motor to the left to stay inline with the rear sprocket, then bolt the plate down. . for the tensioner, angle the tensioner down like this one.

Attachments

tpringle

Aug 13, 2012
Michigan
i've built 3 so far. all sold though. here is a pic. i made my own motor mount. just a flat plate and 2 pipes angled away from eachother, had to offset the motor to the left to stay inline with the rear sprocket, then bolt the plate down. . for the tensioner, angle the tensioner down like this one.
Thank you for the reply johoR/T. I cant see the mounts you made real clearly from the picture. I expected it needed to be either offset or purchase a special set up for this type bike. Gas tank mounting appears to need special mounting as well because of the wide piece under the main bar. As mentioned the rear hand brake appears to be in the way of the chain and tensioner by pointing the tensioner down will this solve this problem? While on the brakes, is hand brakes safe with motor attached? One last question is the rear sprocket. it appears that it is not far enough past the rear wheel because when I put the chain on the chain rides against the rear wheel. Will I need to shim the sprocket out more? Any suggestions from all you bike gurus will be appreciated. This is my first one. Thanks again.

klapool

Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin
I built my own mount also. Took a doner bike and cut the down tubes into two 5 inch sections. Mounted them into the motor and set them on the plate which came from a lawn tractor hitch.

When I had them in place and set where the chain wouldnt rub, I welded them into place on the plate.

Worked pretty slick!

tpringle

Aug 13, 2012
Michigan
klapool, thanks for your input. Did you have to shim out your rear spocket more to gain clearance from the rear tire? Hey cool exhaust set up. What about gas tank mounting? Did you make a different mount for that as well?

klapool

Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin
klapool, thanks for your input. Did you have to shim out your rear spocket more to gain clearance from the rear tire? Hey cool exhaust set up. What about gas tank mounting? Did you make a different mount for that as well?
I didnt shim out the sprocket as the chain ran clear. I did have to cut the rear fender where the chain would have rubbed but it looks like it was made that way.

The tank was a different bird all together as I want straps going around the frame. So I put some washers on the tank mount studs and put the nuts on to keep the washers on. The with a piece of cork gasket material I set the tank on the frame and straightened the washers and welded them to the frame. That way I could get the tank off should I need to. Worked pretty slick!! The muffler set up was my sons idea and I have a thread about that, I'll post it after supper!