Gnarley-Davidson

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Youve bought your second motor already?....... LOL welcome to the club, its an addiction, it really is, but very rewarding.

Youve got the right idea, get him to show you how to weld, if you do buy a mig welder they are quite easy to use with a little practice you will be on your way.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I'D JUMP ON IT with a QUICKNESS , I am waiting for the fleamarkets to get rollin up here again since I am looking for a older motor for another project .

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
YES, its part of the illness i mentioned earlier, you will find yourself starting and running the engine for no other reason then to hear the engine purr :)

You should post a video if you can, id love to see and hear it.
Yeah, I have one on my phone. How do I post it on here? Do I have to upload to YouTube first?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I'm no expert when it comes to that stuff, but I uploaded my video to my photobucket account, but uploading to YouTube and sharing the link would work fine

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I'm on board with this build, this looks amazing! Best of luck and I'll be following! Cool engine, very jealous

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks LS614!

So, I've been trying to make a parts list. What are your thoughts?

HEAVY DUTY Front Disc Brake Kit w/ monark dropouts - (Venice Motorbikes)

Monark Forks - (Venice Motorbikes)

Laid-back seat post - (http://motorbicycling.com/f23/laid-back-seat-post-33227.html)

Heavy duty 26" steel wheel set - (Venice Motorbikes)

Dual pull brake lever - (Venice Motorbikes)

mirror - http://www.1977mopeds.com/product/914/Universal-4in-Chrome-Mirror/

speedometer - http://www.PistonBikes.com/product-p/jbspd.htm

4 bolt stem - http://www.PistonBikes.com/product-p/tg4gn.htm

vintage plug wire - http://www.piratecycles1.com/redwyeandblt.html

kickstand - http://www.piratecycles1.com/hdredroutkis.html

Harley Sportster peanut tank

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out. I can't find a kit without an engine, that'd be so much easier than piecing everything together. Oh, also wanted to know if you guys think either of these will work since I'm not using a "kit engine:"

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...3{8}31{7}25&osCsid=jg8ir6r601m7jmgqmfecjk7qm0

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...9{8}31{7}26&osCsid=jg8ir6r601m7jmgqmfecjk7qm0

If not, what do you suggest?

I'm going to run two brake levers, one on the left to control the front brake, then a dual pull brake lever on the right to control the rear brake and brake light switch.

Also, do you think this jackshaft would work or should I build one from scratch? http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ucts_id=110&osCsid=bt8tib7f05na3l5d3gqagmmjg0

Thanks again for all the info and advice!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Personally I'd run a Sturmey Archer front drum hub, it's a beautiful vintage motor and a drum look a lot better then a disc, but I'm old school and it's just personal preference.

I'd run a coaster rear brake so you don't need to run dual levers and less messy cables. In my book less is more.

Isn't your friend going to teach you to weld or at least help you, so you can easily make stuff like a layback seat post for next to nothing, and best of all you can say you made it.

Depends how involved you'd like to get, but my Villiers build will need similar parts as yours. And all I bought for my bike was bearings for the jackshaft. The rest I made from bin finds and parts I already had. It wasn't hard and there is no reason you can't do the same. Up to you, but I'd be more then happy to help you any way I can. If you do most things yourself you will enjoy your bike more and have a unique bike

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Ok buddy,
I'm gonna go through that list with ya and tell you what I think
Disc brake kit with droupouts-pretty good overall

Reproduction monark fork-you may be disappointed, they're kinda cheap quality. Lots of people either make a similar thing themselves or they invest in a real one on ebay

Wheels- those wheels look pretty darn good, but you may also want to look at the husky and worksman wheels on pirate cycles. The worksman wheels cost a good bit but they are US made and VERY GOOD quality (I know a guy who was clipped by a car in the back wheel and it barely had any wobble afterwards :D )

Dual pull lever- That's a standard price, I use them all the time, BUT that's not what you need for a brake light, there are little bitty waterproof temporary action switches that some members have successfully tucked under single pull levers so the lever pushes down on the switch and turns on a light. Just a thought!

Mirror-I've had experience with mirrors, that thing is cheap and little and looks cute, but you really need a mirror that goes up and out on a long stalk to see anything, or a bar end mirror. Just a suggestion.

Speedometer-I hate to say it but those speedometers are a joke. But if you are going with 26" wheels and cruiser tires, the speedometers made for whizzer motorobikes aren't too expensive and they actually work :)

The stem-It's a good idea to get a sturdy stem like that BUT, in the description it says 22.2mm in diameter be SURE that's the inside diameter of your steering hole because if it's not you'll be mad. An inch diameter is 25.4mm. Also it's kinda ugly, prettier ones can be found on ebay for better prices buy it now :)

Vintage plug wire-Those things look pretty awesome and are good quality. Go for it

Kickstand-may or may not be strong enough for the final weight of this bike. Kickstands are a problem for us heavy engine guys. My only advice on that one is to see what happens, but it may be worth it to fab your own.

The tank- Sportster tank will look almost silly it's so big, but you probably knew that. Up to you but I might choose a small tank for a minibike or moped that's in the sportster shape.

Throttle-that throttle is a very good option but let me tell you a little secret....come closer....If you go to your local NAPA and you insist that they have a twist throttle (called a throttle twist grip in their catalog) they will find it. It's all metal construction with a chrome and aluminum body and it costs $12.95 as far as I can remember. Check it out :)

Jackshaft, you may want to build from scratch, it will look cleaner and be a lot stronger, especially if you weld it into the frame.

Hope this has been helpful. Best of luck and happy buying!

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
yeah forgot about the drum lol, I just bought one, that's the way to go, they can flip you over the bars better than a disc and they look SOOOOOO good

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
harry - After taking another look at your bike and looking at drum brakes, I've got to say I realllly like them. I can't stand coaster brakes. I just hate 'em.

Yeah, I'm hoping he's still up for showing me how to weld, either way he's helping me out with any fab work I need. I didn't realize the seat post was still on the list, I guess I haven't updated it in a while.

I definitely want to do as much as I can myself, but for now I also just want to get it rideable. :D

LS614 - How about the monark forks that have been re-welded and strengthened like the one that VMB sells?

I'll take a look at those wheels. I like the sound of US made.

I'll look into the brake light switch, but the light kit I got works with a brake cable. I'm hoping to modify it to my needs. I'm going to stuff the LEDs for the brake/ tail light into an old Model A "Stop" brake light.

I was considering the bar end mirror as well. Thought this one might be better.

Cool, I'll try to snag a whizzer speedometer. Ebay?

The stem was more of an idea of the type I want to use. I should have one or two laying around from my bmx bikes.

Wasn't sure about the kickstand. I'll probably fab one up.

I saw a bike online with a Harley style tank. It was big, but not huge. I mocked one up to actual size on paper, put it together and have it sitting on my frame. Its not too bad. However, I may go with a minibike tank as you suggested that I just came across. Imperial Cycles used to have mini peanut tanks and I was about to order one, but asked if they were actually metal or fiberglass/ plastic and they said they lost contact with their supplier and now I have read here on the forum that they are taking money and no one is hearing back from them.

I'll check out the throttle from Napa. If I can't get one, will either of the others work or are they specific to certain carbs/ engines (I think the site said they are, I don't remember...).

I was thinking about the jackshaft. I totally agree, and want to make one myself, just thinking for now to get it rideable, but I'll end up spending more money buying the kit then doing it myself so it isn't worth it.

Thanks sooo much for the help guys. Seriously, I really appreciate it.

- Zane

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Zane I don't actually have a drum brake on my bike, I have a disc on the rear, and a disc hub on the front with no disc (don't feel I need it with this engine) but that was only because my bike was built to a strict budget and i got the wheels (MTB wheels) very cheaply. Sometimes I wish I had gone a coaster brake rear

Drum rear is probably better as you don't need the pedals to be in the right spot to brake, but if you have a good front brake the rear shouldn't matter as much..... But it does mean more cables which I'm personally not fond of, it's just personal preference

degaine_designs

Nov 29, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Zane I don't actually have a drum brake on my bike, I have a disc on the rear, and a disc hub on the front with no disc (don't feel I need it with this engine) but that was only because my bike was built to a strict budget and i got the wheels (MTB wheels) very cheaply. Sometimes I wish I had gone a coaster brake rear

Drum rear is probably better as you don't need the pedals to be in the right spot to brake, but if you have a good front brake the rear shouldn't matter as much..... But it does mean more cables which I'm personally not fond of, it's just personal preference
Yeah, my wording was a bit off there, meant I looked at yours for the simplicity. I've been up wayyyy too long working on a deadline... gonna get some sleep now before zzzzzonk! zzzzZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Zane,
Here is the link for the speedometer but you used to be able to buy the whole thing http://whizzermotorbike.catalog.com/browseGroup.cfm?item_group_id=48804 now you have to do it in parts so it may or may not be worth it, but it is a functional mechanical speedo.

Bar end mirrors are generally better because then nothing is blocking your sight (like your body) but if you want to go more for aesthetics then do whatcha want.

So long as the fork is beefed up you should be just fine, and I had no idea you were using a model A light and some kind of existing system. That sounds pretty darn cool man. I'd like to see a link for this light system now if there is one because I'm curious.

Yeah imperial cycles was the first place that came to mind but their site has been shut down (prolly because they were taking money) Ebay and swap meets are your best friends depending on what your time frame is. And if you have a minibike tank use it, and if the sportster tank looks good, use that. This is your build. I'm just offering suggestions but there is NOTHING more important than loving your bike because it's an extension of who you are.

As for throttles, all of the throttles can be made to work if you're creative enough, the napa throttle just has a classic look that the modern billet ones don't have. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=SME703921_0238939007 ugly uncomfortable grips, but you can put something different on that twist tube than what it comes with.

Hope this has been helpful and please be sure to ask more questions. We're all here to try and help you not make as many mistakes as we've all made lol.

Peace! usflg