Commuting - New to Motorized Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Beyond Driven

Oct 3, 2011
AZ
Hello everyone, pretty cool forum you have here. I've been around bicycles for years and am a pretty avid road cyclist, but a motorized bicycle is something that I've wanted to build for years now.

Basically I am looking for an eco-friendly commuter to get me home and back to school every few weekends (I am away at school - but only about 49 miles of backwoods highway from my apartment doorstep to my driveway at home). Can I build a 4 stroke bicycle that will reliably be able to cover this distance and back every few weeks? Say 200-300 miles/month.

The two kits that I was looking at are the 4 stroke Skyhawk/Grubee kit and the Flying Horse kit. It appears that both come with the same HuaSheng 49cc engine, which sounds decent enough, but which kit/mounting gear is a bit more reliable? I have heard of problems with the tranny and belt drive with both, but just want your guys' opinions. Obviously the Flying Horse kit is a little more appealing because its 50$ cheaper.

Grubee SkyHawk 4G T-Belt Drive 49cc Gas Bike Motor Kit from GasBike.net
4-Stroke Pull Start 48cc Bicycle Engine Kit EPA Certified BikeBerry.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
I have never had a 4-stroke motor, but from what I've heard they're very reliable. Probably better for your purposes of commuting. Though a 2-stroke motor can certainly be reliable given the right kind of modifications and care.

If you haven't already, check out the 4-stroke kits at thatsdax.com.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
im gona get my next kit from bicycle-engines.com with the 4 g kit 100/12 gear model its gona be about 400 shiped to the door them and blow by u .ca have some good deals on the 4g kit

a 4 stroke will have no problem makeing that journey just keep it tuned and loctite every single bolt

from what ive heard not personal experince though avoid gasbike has been the word around here for awhile zpt

virginian

Dec 19, 2009
McLean VA
I am looking for an eco-friendly commuter to get me home and back to school every few weekends (I am away at school - but only about 49 miles of backwoods highway from my apartment doorstep to my driveway at home). Can I build a 4 stroke bicycle that will reliably be able to cover this distance and back every few weeks? Say 200-300 miles/month.
I have put over 5000 miles on a Tanaka 32 cc 2 stroke and a GEBE kit with never a breakdown on the road. It has been totally reliable. I never worry about breakdown that will leave me stranded.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I used commute 50 miles round trip from Gilbert to Phoenix in one day on a mountain bike with a China girl motor. It worked well unless I had to travel into the strong Southerly winds in the Summer on the way home. Those headwinds really reduced my speed.
I have not ridden a 4 stroke motor bike, but, budget permitting, I think it is a better choice for a 49 mile ride. If your route is hilly, a jackshaft/shift kit is good to have.
I moved to TX a few years back and my current commute is only 20 mile round trip.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Welcome to the forum, Beyond Driven!

I'd recommend the 4G over the so-called "5G" from bikeberry. That so-called "5G" is really the infamous Hoot gearbox, not very reliable and perhaps a complete waste of time. The reason it's cheaper is because the Hoot isn't worth anything lol

The Huasheng engine is a great little unit. It's a copy of a Honda industrial engine and eats miles for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as long as you have a decent transmission attached to it.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The two kits that I was looking at are the 4 stroke Skyhawk/Grubee kit and the Flying Horse kit. It appears that both come with the same HuaSheng 49cc engine, which sounds decent enough, but which kit/mounting gear is a bit more reliable? I have heard of problems with the tranny and belt drive with both, but just want your guys' opinions. Obviously the Flying Horse kit is a little more appealing because its 50$ cheaper.

4-Stroke Pull Start 48cc Bicycle Engine Kit EPA Certified BikeBerry.com
True both come with the same engine, but don't be tempted with the
$50 cheaper price.
Be warned that the Bikeberry kit has the old style Hoot gearbox on it.
There is no pic on Bikeberrys add of the "5G" gearbox.

The Grubee 4G is a MUCH superior gearbox to the Hoot although the
one from GasBike.net has the 4 to 1 gearbox with the problematic one
way bearing.

Buy the original 5 to 1 4G gearbox with the kit from Bicycle-Engines.com.

Here is what you actually get from Bikeberry as the "5G" kit

Last edited:

Beyond Driven

Oct 3, 2011
AZ
Thanks for the last few awesome replies guys. I've done a lot more researching while getting feedback from here... It does sound like the reliability all comes down to the tranny hooked up to the HuaSheng unit.

So should I be looking at this for reliability and ability to endure some miles?
49cc 4G T Belt Drive Complete Gas Powered Engine Kit - $379.99

^Isn't that the same kit as the one on gasbike.net? Also, if I were to go with the above kit from bicycle-engines, what drivetrain do you guys recommend?

"Choose from either the 80 tooth main flywheel with one way bearing and 10 tooth solid drive sprocket OR 100 tooth solid flywheel with 12 tooth freewheel sprocket."

???

Thanks for all the help!