Something funny happened to me today

GoldenMotor.com

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I frequent this website that has every motorcycle event in the region and I found a vintage motorcycle show sponsored by a BMW dealer and the Red Cross. I thought it would be cool to show up in my old motorcycle clothes and Indian replica. So my buddy from work ride in to the venue. They have a sign posted "vintage bikes< spectator bikes>" so my buddy on his gold wing goes into the regular parking lot and I go to the vintage section. Now I'm parking my bike in the same area as 1936 Indians, 1917 Harleys, BSA's, triumphs, Nortons, all in pristine condition. They looked new. My bud says "hey John, it's not just a show, but a contest, you should register. So they are judging for, best American, German, Japanese, Italian, and other. The guy asks me what class I am in and I say " probably other" in the bill that we are supposed to display with the bike I say it's a home built replica of a 1911 Indian Scout. Man, I never had such a large group of people show as much interest as these people. They swamped me. After talking to literally hundreds of folks the Judge came over and he was really a fan. He was a B actor from Hollywood that has been in about 50 films he said. I can't for the life of me think of his name but he was one of the actors in "the lords of Flatbush" that also starred Henry Winkler. Anyway, he also is big time in the American Motorcycle association. He thought it was fantastic that someone was able to make a replica from scratch. To make a long story short, I won best of class "other" for showing "the kind of ingenuity that made America great". I was totally floored as I never intended to enter anything, just show up and look at some nice old bikes. I had to give an acceptance speech! Lol, I said I was humbled to win anything in the midst of all these great bikes. The 36 Indian won best American bike. The 17 Harley got nothing! I think the owner was a bit peeved at that. It was trailered in, as most of the other bikes too. Same story,"too valuable or fear of causing damage". I kept telling people all day that my bike is for people that want the look, the sound, the feel of owning an antique without the expense or frustration. I'm feeling good that our work we do is appreciated by those that we attempt to imitate. A nice day.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Cool story CF, sounds like a cool show. Im still yet to see my first really early motorcycle in the flesh. I think id spend all day staring at them........ any pics from the day?

I often wish i had a REAL early motorcycle, but maybe its like you always say that we probably have it better and more fun being able to ride them at will, still attract the same attention but dont have to break the bank to build it... or run it

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I only took a few. Here is the 1917 Harley Davidson with sidecar. This bike had either 28" or 29" tires. Larger in person than I thought. It sported tires that looked like it lived on shag carpet. Virtually brand new.

Last edited:

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
My friend just sent me this picture of the vintage motorcycle show. This is what it was like most of the day. Lot's of questions about the bike. Lot's of interest.