I completed my first motobike frame!

GoldenMotor.com

Joaquin Suave

Dec 9, 2008
Alta & Baja California
I'm happy to say that tomorrow is test ride day!

I'm confident of my clutch and transmission because they were run extensively on the test bench...but there is nothing like testing on pavement!

The only items to complete the bike is there new front wheel and disk brake, air cleaner, grips and paint....YEAH HOO!!!!!

46 pounds of pure love!

Attachments

Joaquin Suave

Dec 9, 2008
Alta & Baja California
I am happy to say that i have test ridden my prototype bike and can now honestly say...Its the real deal (even though there are a few minor issues to resolve).

I have not wanted to go into detail about the workings of it until I "proofed my concept". Here is some (not all) of the key design components...

*9.5:1 Primary transmission
*2:1 Secondary drive (thus sprocket smaller than rear brake disc)
*Hydraulic clutch
*Modification of Honda GXH 50 so that it would fit between crank arms that have a tread (Q Factor for you bike dweebs) that is only 20mm wider than a normal Mt. bike!

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I like how your bike came out! Very clean concept. The bike looks awesome and very little clutter to boot. This is one of my favorites. I like the tank a lot it keeps the top bar free and clear.(^)dnut

Joaquin Suave

Dec 9, 2008
Alta & Baja California
Thanks for the compliments guys!

I'm confused by this last modification. What changes did you make to your GXH50?
I better clarified my last post so that it made more sense.

The biggest modification was simply removing the pull start mechanism. I also did some trimming of the flywheel. I will also be trimming the output shaft after I am 200% convinced that my transmission is "bought off".

The bike is designed to be a pedal assisted motor scooter as opposed to motor assisted bicycle.

Joaquin Suave

Dec 9, 2008
Alta & Baja California
Can you shoot more pics all over
Here you go. I am currently consumed in clients projects (thank you lord!), so the moto-bike has to be back burner'd for a few weeks. My next step is to build another transmission with a sightly different gear ratio, a tweek or two to the clutch (friction coefficient material algorithms don't take into account low RPM "shock" starting of motors), a soft fuel cell, braze-ons for cable mounting, and mounts for a rear rack....

Then I'm going to cut the frame in half!

Design Logic wrote:
looking good suave
Thanks for the complement! Especially given that you are offering such a forward thinking product yourself.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Beautiful! And you got a 4 smoke in-frame with out the "silly walk" wide pedals. Hats off to ya!

Could you share more about your clutch? Certainly understand if ya don't wanna divulge.

Had so many attempts fail , about gave up, lol

Great work

Joaquin Suave

Dec 9, 2008
Alta & Baja California
Dan wrote:
Could you share more about your clutch? Certainly understand if ya don't wanna divulge.
Sorry no, for at least right now. I will tell you that I've got close to 2 years into the research & development of the clutch and transmission and it has not been an "easy" road. My first iteration was a conical clutch with a micro-V belt (with spoke mounted Sheave) and I "bailed" on the concept because I could only start the motor by hand turning the rear wheel (on the test buck) 6 out of 10 times. My current iteration started the motor 10 out of 10 times X 5 tests!!!! But here is the crux, I am going after a specific "client" that will be uber perticular about performance and rectum (damb near killed him) up tight about the technology they buy into...

So for right now I feel that is best that I not chirp.

Heck, if all goes well i'll be marketing motor-bike components to the public as well.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i agree! their's an old ww2 saying loose lip's sink ship's. don't loose your product by letting someone pirate your idea's then make it themself's. its happened before and maybe its going on now. now i guess i'll dissapear...again