Chain alignment

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
A few more adjustments etc. Probably going to have to do away with the rear fender or notch it. The engine is sitting a little too far to the right as viewed from the rear. The chain I do not think will ever be perfectly aligned going to the rear. If I can't get it straight, then a new bike is in store I guess. I am just thinking the chain will never stay on during use. Going to do some more moving around and adjusting and see if I can get it to work, if I can't, scrap it and start over. The question is can these things be off a little? The only other thing I can think of is the rag between the sprocket and the spokes is too thick. I may have to get the expensive one, metal etc.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Honestly, it'd be worth it to get the clamshell adapter. The ragjoint is so not good for the spokes.

You have some play with alignment though - use your tensioner and make sure the chain goes onto the rear sprocket well, and you'll be set for the most part.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The sprockets don't have to be perfectly aligned with each other... You can simply file the sides of the rear sprocket teeth so that the teeth feed smoothly into the chain. ;)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Maybe you need to switch over to #41 chain, with its larger spacing between the sideplates, or maybe you can re-dish the wheel?

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
It is not off that much guys, its just that I like things to be perfect in a unperfect world. Thanks for the information. The fenders on this Cranny are so flimsy that keeping them may not be an option, stronger bracing for sure. On another note, saw a setback post on Cycles US that were really priced low. However they did not look like they extended far enough rearward for me. Any one use them? I saw what some have written on the site but I am limited right now to manufacture my own. Thanks for the come back.