tachometer setting

GoldenMotor.com

sanelson

Mar 5, 2011
denver
Hi Folks,

Need your thoughts - I just bought an ENM tachometer (Northern Tool) so I wouldn't run the risk of overreving my titan 2.5hp engine. This is a thatsdax rear mount chain drive setup 5:1 gearbox, 10tooth sprocket, 48tooth sprocket, 26 inch wheel.
The tach was set to firing once per revolution out of the box. Just tried it and it shows 7800 +- rpm's going my normal cruise speed of 24 mph. My max mph is just at 30mph. Either I need to set the tach to some other setting or I will be buying a new engine rather soon. The other settings are 1)spark plug fires twice per revolution or 2)every other revolution. I guess the other possibility is that the tach is not reliable at all - but I have read good reviews about this instrument. Anyone have/had experience with this tach and 4 stroke engine's? Thanks

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I have one from another seller and it works great. I'm not familiar with that engine personally but from the 4 strokes I have the idle is around 3000 and clutch kicks in around 3600 so it sounds like you're doubled and need to change the S1 setting on the tach.

sanelson

Mar 5, 2011
denver
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that would be the case. I couldn't find any calculators on the web that might give me the calculated rpm's/mph with this configuration and I didn't want to reset the tach which may have given me the wrong information. I am presuming that on simple 4 strokes the spark plug fires every other revolution on the power stroke. I've reset it and it looks reasonable. I don't think with my gear ratio's i can over rev the engine. Thanks