How should I paint an engine shroud?

GoldenMotor.com

Apr 24, 2009
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Hi guys, recently bought and installed a robin-subaru staton kit, and so far am loving it. However, the yellow shroud doesn't match the bike at all. How should I go about painting it? I was figuring degrease, light sand, primer, then paint, but then I found out about Krylon fusion. Apparently it doesn't require any sanding or priming. Opinions and advice would be appreciated.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I personally have no experience with Krylon Fusion paint. Is it the one made especially for plastic? I saw some paint recently that was formulated for use on plastic lawn furniture etc. It might have been the Fusion stuff. I don't know how the Staton/Subaru plastic compares but I've painted several Titan shrouds using various rattle can paints. Degreasing is the important part, sanding and priming is needed if you're going for a very smooth finish. The shrouds have always taken paint very well but the fuel tanks are a different story. They're made from a different plastic than the shrouds and they tend to blister well after the paint is dry. Don't ask me why.
Tom

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
dumb question here, I have to remove the shroud first, right? Fusion is great paint, not only for plastic

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I use good engine paint for the engine itself, Krylon plastic paint for the fan shroud & BBQ paint for the exhaust pipe... Here's a pic of a 'murdered out' 4-stroke bike that I recently built.
If I had a pic of the other side, you could see that the whole engine is black engine too. :/

Last edited:

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
u can use any sparay paint on anything, i use 98 cents walmart paint on motors and it holds up great even under heat. u can buy the 98 cent primer also -lol however, for high heat apps, use the bbq paint or the rustoleum engine enamle. funny thing tho, it says on the rustoleum engine enamle its resistant to oil and fuel, i found out its all lies, that stuff came off fast when exposed to fuel, but holds up to oil great. but check this stuff out brother. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CAN-ED-...316?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c652fe794

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I've tried several different BBQ black, and high heat paint brands. Most of them don't tolerate fuel spills very well.

The best brand I've tried is Dupli-Color Ceramic, 500 degree engine enamel. It resists fuel better then the others after it cures. Low Gloss Black rocks

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
dumb question here, I have to remove the shroud first, right? Fusion is great paint, not only for plastic
After you take it off hang it with a wire coat hanger so you can turn it around and hit it from all sides and it can dry with only the wire touching it. Hope you have a bug free place for it to dry as well. We used to wash parts in a phosphate shower before going thru a bake oven then parts got sprayed and baked again. This 100 degree weather is good for something LOL!

Just found this:

OVERVIEW:
Rust-Oleum Specialty Plastic Primer Spray prepares plastic for painting with any top coat. Apply directly to plastic mailboxes, lawn chairs, storage lockers and more. Adheres to hard-to-paint surfaces.
PRODUCT FEATURES:
Adheres to hard-to-paint surfaces
Renew or change the color of plastic items around the home
Choose from a variety of top coat colors

Tip:
Wipe down new surfaces with a paint thinner before applying.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've tried several different BBQ black, and high heat paint brands. Most of them don't tolerate fuel spills very well.

The best brand I've tried is Dupli-Color Ceramic, 500 degree engine enamel. It resists fuel better then the others after it cures. Low Gloss Black rocks
Thats the kind I use! (except I like the semi gloss). (^)

Also... Here's a pic of the other side of that engine.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I doubt if you painted like this video shows fuel is gonna mess with it very quick if ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCyFqBtObvQ

I used to work a paint line & prepping is key you don't want to just spray paint on something without first prepping it unless you are like some Earl Scheib paint shop for used car salesmen that don't care what it looks like in a month. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtjdHaMeiiQ
I friend of mine got a Earl Scheib paint job. They painted over the bird turds.