newb gas ratio question

GoldenMotor.com

JebGipson

Oct 27, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I have an 80CC that I purchased preassembled used just ran through my first tank of gas and the origional owner had forgotten the fuel to oil ratio, he said he thinks it is 32-1 is this likely correct?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Is the engine broken in yet? What kind of oil are you mixing? 32:1 is a slight bit lean on oil but if the oil is high quality you'll be good. Some of the better synthetics can be mixed at 50:1 and even leaner. 100:1 is recommended by a couple of oil manufactures but if I were you I'd wait until you're sure the engine is broken in and runnng well before trying them. It usually takes a couple of gallons to consider youre engine to be broken in. Do you know how much running tme it has? Hope this helps a little and there'll be more answers coming. Stay tuned.
Tom

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
well it was rode at least 40 hours by previous owner and the engine sticker says it was broken in 50 hours before shipment... so 100-1?
Depends on what oil you're using. They are not at all the same. See what the manufacturer of the oil recommends. If it is Amsoil Sabre Professional you can go 50-1 and higher. See how your engine responds. The manufacturer says 100-1. I ran it at around 75-1 with no problems. Now I use opti-2 at 100-1 and like it. These are the only ones I have personal experience with on my bikes. Chainsaws and weed whackers, other small engines I used regular 2 stroke oil, but now just use opti-2 with everything.

I'm wondering about the claim of 50 hours running time before shipment. Is that for real? Was it from a private owner or new in the box? Good luck and check your plug to see how motor likes the mix... white is too lean, chocolate is good, black is too rich. These things sure are fun, aren't they?
SB

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Luckily my uncle is a amsoil dealer, and has been pushing this on me for a while now. He is always telling me how motor run so much better using amsoil and so on. For awhile i was skeptic, as i always am, but he kept giving me single packages to try, so i had to try atleast a mix. Well I used the saber pro. at a 80 to 1 mix. Let me tell ya the difference was instantly noticeable. I had alot more pep, motor sounded alot smoother, and so on. Well needless to say my uncle was gone for the winter, and i needed oil, so i went out and bought a gallon of amsoil HP injecter 2 cycle. Thinking its amsoil, it's gotta be good right. Well no my motors were boggy, and one dramaticly was losing power, and is now siezed. The Unc is back, and i had to hit him up for some sabre pro. I came home drained my tank, and it sputtered a couple times like it coughed the nastyness out, then took off like crazy, sounding smooth again, and idling great. I was telling my unc i was bummed, as i just made a 2 gallon mix with the hp injecter, and now it was a waste, he told me to pour about a gallon in my car, and see if it cleans out the injecter. What the ****, right, poured about a gallon in, put her in reverse, and slammed on the brakes a couple times to mix it, then took off down the road. Instant difference, my suby never ran better. Alot more acell., like it is cleaned. Oh and I forgot to mention that, when i had previously used other oils, i had to take my motor apart, and the piston was covered in burnt oil, I ran a half a tank of the sabre mix through it and had to tear down again, and my piston looked new. Thats what made me a true believer in amsoil, sabre tho not just all amsoil.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Not another oil thread. 32 to 40:1 are good ratios regardless of oil. 100:1 Amsoil not recommended in this application due to HT engine poor quality, fit, and history.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Not another oil thread. 32 to 40:1 are good ratios regardless of oil. 100:1 Amsoil not recommended in this application due to HT engine poor quality, fit, and history.
o_O

32 & 40:1 ratios are only good if the oil's manufacturer recommends it - as Tom mentioned, even 32:1 may be a little thin for a cheap nonsynthetic, about right for a quality one & 40:1 you may be pushing your luck... maybe even your bike.

If you're running a synthetic - all bets are off on such generalizations, read the back of the bottle & add a little more oil if you're paranoid.

Careful with your advice please, bemoaning another oil thread - you suggested perhaps not enough oil while in the same breath you advised against a quality synthetic I happen to be quite happy with.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Aside from disagreeing with your advice I would also take issue with the idea that topics once discussed should be done with. I may skip threads which I have no interest in or which I feel confident I already know about, but there are others who are interested and may also be new to the forum and new to motorbicycles. Things like oil mix and chain tensioners are of vital interest when you are a newbie. Those of us who have been around for awhile may feel like that territory has been completely covered and the information persoanlly well digested... and then discover something new we hadn't taken into account. I recall when retmachinest first mentioned opti-1 how many outcries there were from we "experts". I was, too, and had settled on Amsoil Sabre as the answer for me. Now look at how many of the former skeptics and experts are using opti 1, including myself, and I'm thankful for that thread and the information there. It is good to research old posts, but this forum is a living, breathing thing which changes every day with new people, new information, and new points of view on old subjects.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Now Skeeter, he din' mean no harm. (snork. sorry. My favorite line from South Park. That and "#&#^$*@ hippie")

wut?

fakeplay

Jul 26, 2009
newburyport ma
I use bel-ray SI-7 and wallyworld mixed together 50/50 and don't have a problem at 32 to 1. It makes my more expensive SI-7 go alot farther and the engine runs good.
Bel-ray SI-7 = $18 a litter, wallyworld $1.29 for 8oz The oil is even the same color