Registering a Motor Driven Cycle in California

GoldenMotor.com

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
I bought this bike off of craigslist. It is a 110cc 4 stroke engine with a bike frame. I am planning to register the bike in the DMV as it looks a lot like a motorcycle and there is no way I would get away without doing so unlike my other china girl bicycle. I was wondering what information I need and what form do I need to fill out for this. This bike goes over 40mph+ so I would not be able to register it as a moped. Anyone have a link to the page I can use to register it thank you. (Pictures are provided)

EDIT: Here is a link to the website defining the bike as motor driven cycle.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/motorcycles/motorcycles

Attachments

Last edited:

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
I was thinking of doing that but I really want to go higher than 30mph is there any way to register it as a motor driven cycle I've looked and can't find a registration for that? If not then your plan of ghost pedaling and registering it as a moped will have to do.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
That looks like a motorized bicycle to me. In CA cops don't touch motorized bikes with plates on them. For the most part. They don't really know about the specific rules in vc406a. I ride a 150cc 2-speed auto and have flown by cops at 45 with no more than a second look.

However I have also wondered how to register a motor driven cycle. I don't know for certain, but I'd guess it's similar to a motorcycle with yearly registration and a CHP safety inspection required for a title. In which case, an Mb won't ever pass...

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
Yeah I just checked out your video on one of your posts. Pretty awesome does seem like fun. My family and friends that see the bike all say it looks like a motorcycle. The tires are bigger than my actual motorcycle tires and the bike handle bars are higher. Overall this bicycle is a bit bigger looking than my motorcycle which is pretty funny. That is why I just was thinking of doing it as a motor driven cycle. I will do it as you say though I am sure the cops in my area don know much about this and if I get pulled over i'll just mention that it can't go over 30mph or some bullcrap that I was pedaling fast or whatever. Most likely I won't get pulled over, even though I do live across the street from the police station.^5