What engine is best for a replica board track racer?

GoldenMotor.com

DreamMachine

Aug 11, 2013
Towanda, Pa.
Hello, does anyone have any advice or opinions on what would be a reliable, decent looking, fairly cheap, 80 cc motor to put in a 1920s-30s Indian boardtrack racer replica? I'm probably going to go with the frame, tank, fork combo I saw advertised on here for $500. Not sure what exactly would be a perfect fit for this frame, as far as engines are concerned. Thanks as always! Ride safe! Jack
drn2

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hello, does anyone have any advice or opinions on what would be a reliable, decent looking, fairly cheap, 80 cc motor to put in a 1920s-30s Indian boardtrack racer replica? I'm probably going to go with the frame, tank, fork combo I saw advertised on here for $500. Not sure what exactly would be a perfect fit for this frame, as far as engines are concerned. Thanks as always! Ride safe! Jack
Hi Jack, your build thread is being followed by a lot of us and it will
work better for you to keep all your questions in one thread instead
of starting a bunch of new threads. :)

The 79 cc Harbor Freight motor is cheap, reliable and looks great when
it is tilted upright. Quite a few members here have made builds like this.

I am sure that Silver State Cycles can add a mount to your frame.

DreamMachine

Aug 11, 2013
Towanda, Pa.
xct2 Sorry about the separate posts. Didn't think I had any followers. I have only been usually getting one reply to my posts. I like to have lots of options and opinions from experienced enthuiests like yoursleves. Nothing replaces experience, in my opinion anyway. Thanks for the info. on the Harbor Freight motor. Not sure if I'm really that keen on it. Anything else out there that looks more nostalgic? Thanks as always, as I'm sure I will have a ton of questions! Ride safe and thanks as always! Jack

usflg

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I would find which engine you feel most comfortable working on, and that there is also the type of aftermarket parts for that engine for any upgrades you may want to do. Example with the 79 and 99, and the smaller briggs, there would be totally different engine builds as far as using everything the engine could offer if there were billet rods available. The Hondas, 6.5hf, and the 5 hp Briggs seem to offer every upgradeable part, and they all can also be made to look pretty correct. These are just the engines I'm familiar with.

Edit; right now speed might not be your goal, but a lot of us who build bikes end up wanting that little more after the bike is done.

Last edited:

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Like CCC, I would recommend the Honda GC 160. They are super reliable, cylinder already sits upright, and once you strip away the recoil starter and engine shrouds, then cut off a little bit of the excess mounts, it looks pretty good. You can even maybe get a kit from Taylor bikes where you add some fake fins too make the motor look like an older engine.

For me, if you want an even more vintage look, go with a flathead briggs 5hp. It will be a used engine (they don't make them anymore), so maybe not as reliable, but once you remove heat shields and such, it looks fairly vintage. The honda is an overhead cam, so it looks more modern

Hope that helped a little,

Gilbert

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Forgot to mention that GC160 engines are commonly found on pressure washers. I sometimes see them for sale used on craigslist where the pump part of the machine is busted and they are just selling the engine.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Not tooting any horns but here is a couple of examples of what the Honda GC160QHA1 would look like in a Boardie and a couple with a Chinee 69.5/80cc
I like the Harbor freight 79cc & 99cc engines but the GC160 for just looks more period.

There is a lot of good advice here on this forum and during the process of deciding what you want to go with do the research as to what you'll need to go with the engine, Jack Shafts, what kind of Brakes, CVT, Carb, Tires, Rims, Hubs, there is a lot to it but the research is you greatest accomplishment, mistakes can be costly (VERY COSTLY!)

I'm in the process of 4 builds but the last in line has already cost me about $2,500.oo and that's only half of the total cost and a quarter of the parts required, I picked up a very slightly used Honda GC160 QHA1 at a swap meet for $60.oo so I'd start you parts mission at a local swap meet, went to one last week and found a guy selling the Honda GC160's new for $80.oo a piece they normally sell for $220.oo new.
Good luck and play it smart with the parts and remember one thing at all times

" A Good Bike is not cheap and a cheap bike is not good"

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Pm me if yer serious ? that was a lot of work but oh! so fun! everything top quality on that bike and it is proto type #1 from Taylar.
All that aside that is a PK(Power King) 69.5/80cc Torn down out of the box and highly modified, inside the oil/tool box is a Jaguar ignition system with coil in front to mimic a magneto, as I was saying you can put a lot of $ into these things and the research is key to making good decisions and avoiding costly mistakes.

DreamMachine

Aug 11, 2013
Towanda, Pa.
Why don't you just sell me that Indian and build you another one since it was so much fun! :) Mine doesn't have to be nothing too fancy or perfect. It would probably just mostly get stared at by me more than ridden. I love the look of your bike and would like to mimic at least the look if not engine. I wish I had the skills that you guys do! I need a Indian Board track racer replica kit with step by step instructions. Thanks as always! Ride safe! Jack

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Sent you a P/M (private msg.) got a few options/ideas for you to mull over.
I'm currently rapping up another 1911 Indian Boardie build just as bad A$$ as the Redskin

DreamMachine

Aug 11, 2013
Towanda, Pa.
What's funny is I did see that on Ebay yesterday. Very nice! Thanks for sharing though. Probably not a bad deal at all if you had the bike it went in and needed the engine.
drn2

DreamMachine

Aug 11, 2013
Towanda, Pa.
Any advice as far as wheels go? I assume everyone uses heavy duty bicycle wheels of some sort? Of course I will be putting the all red or all white tires on these rims. Thanks as always! Jack

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif

Attachments

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That engine is on low side of quality, go the site I gave you a link to and get an engine from lynn, if yer going to get a two stroker I highly recommend a PK 69.5/80cc
She's in yer neck of the country so shipping would probably be cheaper and quicker but what ever you do Don't get that Flying Horse, and for the type of build you are talking about doing I'd get a 4 stroker.