Sportsman 200 on Steroids

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi guy's,
I have been getting a few emails from people asking why I have been so quiet lately. Well, I have been quietly working away on a super duty Sportsman 200 with some major upgrades. I will eventually start a build thread, but here are a couple quick shots till then. Frame is built from 1" .120" wall DOM on the front triangle and 3/4" .120 wall DOM on the rear triangle with 1/4 plate dropouts. Lugged and brazed like the good old days. I have increased my 200 model wheelbase by a couple inches for high speed stability and will be running H speed rated Pirelli 80/90-21 motorcycle tires on custom drilled motorcycle rims. Here it is sitting on the ground for the first time.

Bonneville Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Front forks are also fully hand built, and use 1" .120" wall DOM tube with 1/4" laser cut dropouts and 3/8" plate swing arms with bronze bushings. Needed some serious width to run the motorcycle rubber so these are 5" wide. I built them to be similar in design to other forks I have run, as they work well and I am familiar with setting them up. Engine will be a mean and nasty GX200 with every upgrade imaginable. Goal is 22hp and over 70 mph. That's all for now.........

Bonneville Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Awesome cant wait to see more of this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they 21" motocross rims? If so those thin Pirelli tyres really make them look a LOT better. Nice find. I dont suppose those tyres are available 23" rims do they?...... Off to google :)

This thing is going to be a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Those forks are nice! Pat, do you intend on selling them in your product line up? sure hope so! as a lot of guys would go GA!GA! for those vintage styled forks on their bigger builds.
Nice bike!!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Ya know. I was sitting at work a few nights ago, day dreaming and it poped into my head " Pats been REALLY QUIET lately. I just wonder what he's a scheming on." This looks like FUN! Subscribed!

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
This looks great, out of curiosity, how tall are you Pat? And also, what is the distance from the top of the seat on this bike to the ground? I ask because this looks pretty similar proportionally to my build and I'm aiming for about 31" from the ground to the seat but in your picture the bike looks somewhat short unless you are really tall.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks for the comments. Rims are just 21" motorcycle rims, not sure if there is a difference with street verses motocross rims. I built the wheels up from straight 10 gauge stainless spokes using the smallest nipples I could find, then custom drilling of the rims to match. All the predrilled rims I found had nipple holes that were just too large. I did not have to redrill the hub holes larger. I am really happy with how the forks came out. Just solid as a rock, no play in the swing arms and all joints are bronze bushed. I set the seat a bit too low and am going to raise it a 1/2" or so. You can't tell because I am sitting on it but that is a reproduction Messenger Racer seat, you know the real boardie seat with the kicked up back. I am 6'2", but for this builds intended purpose I plan to keep it pretty low. I should measure the seat height to be sure but think it is about 28".

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Wow! Pat, what a great looking machine. 22hp out of a 200? I didn't know that was possible. Is this a modified Worksman frame or build from scratch? Will you be using the counter shaft sprocket you fabricated or some thing else?

The first time I rode my v-twin it scared the crap out of me Its such a powerful engine and I'm sure this 22hp 200 will be even more scary. Do you already have the engine built?

motorhedfred

Jul 31, 2009
United States
100 horsepower per litre is the hallmark of a well designed, performance oriented engine. This has long been passed with DOHC, 4 valve per cylinder motorcycle engines and dedicated race OHV engines.

That benchmark would produce 21.2 HP on the 212 Predator. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it won't be easy or cheap. Porting, bigger valves, more compression, probably a custom grind camshaft and lots of RPMs should get you there.

If anyone can get it done, Pat can.

MHF