WTB 24" wheel

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I am looking for a 24in (2.25 tire) front wheel with a drum brake. I prefer a painted rim and 14 or heavier ga. spokes. I would also like to purchase a similar rear wheel and a coaster brake on that is acceptable.

Anyone know of a source

Thanks
Russell

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Thanks, I have looked at those on pirate cycles but they come with chrome rims. Living on the seashore I have a major chrome pitting problem. It is easier to touch up a painted rim.

Thanks

Russ

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i got some wheels from worksman that were raw-steel (un-chromed.) they do their own chrome plating, so it was no problem.

i got them un-laced 'cause i was gonna copper-plate the rims, but ended up doing something else with them.

if you're not up to lacing them, they'll probably do it for you, but then you'll have to tape off every spoke and nipple to paint them.

but, you could get stainless spokes with them, to cut down on your rust problem.

i paid $200 plus shipping for 'em. (front drum, rear coaster.)

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Bairdco,
Was that 200 unlaced? If so what would you estimate they would cost laced. I would rather mask the spokes and paint than forever monitor chrome for pitting. Thanks again, that front drum wheel you sent me worked out great!

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
it was 200 unlaced, but i think it woulda been the same price if i wanted them laced up. i just asked for them apart because it was a special project, and i've been lacing my own wheels for 30 years.

i sent you a wheel?

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
another thing, worksman does all their own chrome plating, and it's a million times better than china plating. i live near the beach here, and don't have a problem at all. in fact, my 24" chrome worksman wheels i got from some old guy who had them stored since the 70's have only a tiny bit of pitting, which probably wouldn't have happened if they weren't just laying around untouched, in his garage.

the non-stainless spokes are dull, but the rims shine up awesome...

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
i got some wheels from worksman that were raw-steel (un-chromed.) they do their own chrome plating, so it was no problem.

i got them un-laced 'cause i was gonna copper-plate the rims, but ended up doing something else with them.

if you're not up to lacing them, they'll probably do it for you, but then you'll have to tape off every spoke and nipple to paint them.

but, you could get stainless spokes with them, to cut down on your rust problem.

i paid $200 plus shipping for 'em. (front drum, rear coaster.)
You could use drinking straws and cut them down the center of the tube and slide them onto the spoke to prevent the spokes from over spray but you'll still have to tape the nipples.
Just my 2 cents

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
You could use drinking straws and cut them down the center of the tube and slide them onto the spoke to prevent the spokes from over spray but you'll still have to tape the nipples.
Just my 2 cents
I have done exactly this with excellent results. It is also easier than picking little bits of masking tape off of the spokes when you are done!

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
tires are Kenda Kiniption 2.3's. my third choice in race tires. awesome for street.

1st choice, pirelli moped.
2nd, hookworms.

an easy wheel painting method is to cut 1" strips of masking tape from 1" wide tape.

fold the tape around the nipples one time, taping it back to itself like a litle flag.

put the wheel on an old bike frame, or somewhere you can spin it without worrying about whatever else gets paint on it.

spin really fast with your hand, holding the spray can 2 inches from the rim and spray.

switch sides. repeat.

don't lay it on too thick, do a coupla coats, and it comes out really nice, and the spinning wheel will dry it fast, too.

when it's completely dry, grab the flag part of the tape and rip it right off. usually comes off in one piece.

might leave some tape residue, which can be taken off with wd40 sprayed onto a rag, which will also take off any minor overspray.