Grubee starfire

GoldenMotor.com

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA
Looking for grubee starfire 66/80cc. Bike berry says out of stock every one is out of stock. Any idea when they will be back in stock or any place that has them in stock.does any one here use one of these on ther bike if so how do you like it?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Grubee has yet to complete the EPA approval for the Starfire engines, so they are not available in the USA. They do sell in most other countries in the world but not the USA. I have been told they expect the Starfire and Super Rat motors to be meet EPA approval sometime this summer. I had stressed that spring would be a better time to have them approved, but the answer was still summer at best. So I wouldn't hold your breath on either of these motors...
If you want to get started with this hobby go ahead and buy a SkyHawk style kit for now and upgrade to a Starfire or Super Rat later when they become available. Otherwise you are going to be frustrated waiting and pedaling for a long while....

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA
Ok thanks. That sucks i thought people where running these things .ive bin reading feedback on them nothing but good things.i wanted it for my first motor.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Expect strange resistence to our hobby and mode of transport at any time from any place -

as ever, it's about selling lots of gasoline and keeping transporation an expensive carrot dangling in front of us as further leverage on our own personal time and energies.

Possible solutions?

That's much tougher except to NOT elect to office "Because I'm the Mommy, that's why" people or the mean men they prefer.

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Ok thanks. That sucks i thought people where running these things .ive bin reading feedback on them nothing but good things.i wanted it for my first motor.
I was in your exact same position last year at this time. I wasted a good part of the spring waiting before I finally ordered what was in stock everywhere (skyhawk). I still would much rather have a Starfire, but I'm glad I'm not still waiting!
I eventually contacted Grubee to ask them what was the deal, they explained the epa situation. I recently inquired again to see if perhaps the situation had changed and was told "summer 2012". When I commented that SPRING would be much better they replied "SUMMER".
So I guess it's summer (and I would add "at best"!) LOL

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA
i was in your exact same position last year at this time. I wasted a good part of the spring waiting before i finally ordered what was in stock everywhere (skyhawk). I still would much rather have a starfire, but i'm glad i'm not still waiting!
I eventually contacted grubee to ask them what was the deal, they explained the epa situation. I recently inquired again to see if perhaps the situation had changed and was told "summer 2012". When i commented that spring would be much better they replied "summer".
So i guess it's summer (and i would add "at best"!) lol
ok thanks good to know . I may just get the skyhawk how do you like yours?

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
I don't know if I'm missing something, or my isp just doesn't like the grubee site. But I can't get the site to work at all?

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA
Called bikeberry today about the grubee star fire they said they cant get any grubee motors anymore they had no way to order them so what is up . I wanted a grubee now i do not know what to get.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
If you look at the Sky Hawk page, you'll see that Don Grubee is having trouble finding an importer that is willing to spend $30k on testing the engines to EPA standards. It looks like the approval is only good for 2 years, then you have to re-test. No Sky Hawks were available for California in the years 2010 - 2011. The Sky Hawks were legally required to be off-road mopeds for 2010 - 2011.

I am sure the situation is similar for the Star Fire engine as well.

I would save my money and go with a 4 stroke - I think the 2 strokes are pretty much history from Grubee.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA
This makes no sense why are they still advertised for sale on all the web page .if there not for sale take them off the page this is why i have not bought one yet.no one on here can say wich motor is the best for the money.and i dont need to save for a 4 poke i want a 2 stroke. Just dont want to waste money on somthing that sucks . Thats why i ask the question with always no good answer.i am lost with this almost ready to give up

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I think Grubee motors are probably history AT BIKEBERRY, why they keep them listed on their website is a mystery to me. Or maybe not, even though they know they wont be getting any Grubee kits they keep them listed, probably because they know people will search for Grubee, find BikeBerry, and end up buying something else that they may stock.
OTHER retailers have Grubee kits in stock, and will be getting new Grubee kits including the Super Rat this summer and possibly Star Fires as well. BikeBerry took my money for 2 Grubee kits last spring, their website said IN STOCK, I called to verify stock, getting the green light from both I ordered. Order went through as IN STOCK, soon there after I got a BACKORDER email. They strung me along week after week for one month, finally I demanded a refund which they agreed to provide. After waiting for the PayPal refund for several days and not seeing it I phoned them to inquire, they finally processed the refund while I was on the phone with them. I wonder if I hadn't followed up what would have happened.
Anyway, if you want a Grubee kit check out other retailers, GasBike.net has sprung for the EPA approval on the Super Rat so they will be the sole retailer for this new line of Grubee kits when they arrive this summer...

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
This makes no sense why are they still advertised for sale on all the web page .if there not for sale take them off the page this is why i have not bought one yet.no one on here can say wich motor is the best for the money.and i dont need to save for a 4 poke i want a 2 stroke. Just dont want to waste money on somthing that sucks . Thats why i ask the question with always no good answer.i am lost with this almost ready to give up
I understand your frustration with companies listing a million kits they do not have in stock to sell. I went through the same thing, waisted a months good riding time last year waiting for kits to come in stock that STILL aren't in stock a year later, yet I was told next week, two weeks, next week, never ending next week!

I am not telling you what/where to buy, however, if you go to Gasbike.net, then scroll down the blue menu under Bicycle Motors and click AVAILABLE ENGINE KITS you will see a list of two stroke kits that are ACTUALLY IN STOCK! LOL

PS I have no association with Gasbike.net or Grubee, I just sympathize with your frustration and am passing on my experience....

Last edited:

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
Hopefully some companies with deeper pockets and a little more honestly will come in and run these snakes out of business. I wouldn't think the manufacturers could be very happy doing business with these con artists either.

PORTA

Nov 29, 2009
VIRGINIA
Ok thanks guys just a little pissed now. But i called kings motor bikes they clam they have a lot of the 2011 66/80cc grubee skyhawk in stock anyone delt with these folks before.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I think King and Gasbike are the same company...
After waiting a month for BikeBerry I ordered from gasbike and had my kits in hand in just a few days...

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Porta,

do a quick search on this forum on other members experience with gasbike.net
I've never used them, so I can't recommend them one way or another.

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Oh ok kool.so they are pretty straight up.
My experience was BikeBerry was quick to answer the phone and take the order but slow to deliver (never delivered). Gasbike was harder to get on the phone but did ship out my kit right away, and did give me good warranty support when I finally did get ahold of them.