Dax 50 4-stroke vs 70cc 2-stroke

GoldenMotor.com

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
I'd say a 4 stroke does have torque but a 2 stroke technically does produce more hp maybe double that of a 70cc 4 stroke engine so it would be 140cc in 4 stroke term which is totally illegal so it it's smaller and more powerful because the power's always there but they do vibrate and are loud the 80cc aka 70cc does have more torque than the so called 49cc just my take on how you do technically need a motorcycle license to drive those bikes it can be compared to a CBR 125R if it was possible to make a proper gearbox for our chinagirls with a good clutch we would fly past 100km/h maybe with enough gears and the right sprocket but I'm not sure the bearings in the bike hubs could take that kind of constant speed.

Last edited:

Engler

Nov 27, 2009
Florida
2 stroke is best choice, it is lighter and easy to install and repair.
the only problem is polution
Yea, it needs to be repaired BEFORE mounting on bike.

2 cycle chinese motors are all junk.

I take 4 stroke Honda, Subaru or Titan any time over cheap 2 stroker.

I want to ride my bike not to fix it all the time or play with it.

I have other toys to "play" with.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thems fightin' words Engler - I sincerely believe 2 vs 4 stroke is primarily a matter of personal preference and skill.

Generally speaking 2 strokes have a long history of smokin' their 4 stroke counterparts and 4 strokes one up with reliability, dirtbikes/motocross would be an excellent example of this.

A lil diplomacy goes a long way, remember - the vast majority of the members here have 2smokers and are dang proud of 'em (including me) ;)

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
Thems fightin' words Engler - I sincerely believe 2 vs 4 stroke is primarily a matter of personal preference and skill.

Generally speaking 2 strokes have a long history of smokin' their 4 stroke counterparts and 4 strokes one up with reliability, dirtbikes/motocross would be an excellent example of this.

A lil diplomacy goes a long way, remember - the vast majority of the members here have 2smokers and are dang proud of 'em (including me) ;)
agreeeeeed
dnut

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Wow, Engler, you should teach a class on self alienation. You love your four stroke for your own reasons, others love their two strokes for others.

Back in the sixties, when Hector was a pup, we used to say "Different strokes for different folks."

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Yea, it needs to be repaired BEFORE mounting on bike.

2 cycle chinese motors are all junk.

I take 4 stroke Honda, Subaru or Titan any time over cheap 2 stroker.

I want to ride my bike not to fix it all the time or play with it.

I have other toys to "play" with.
Englers favorite toy to "play" with is 4-stroke gear boxes. :)

Engler

Nov 27, 2009
Florida
When I said "Chinese 2 stroke motors are junk" I meant HT kits, sorry I was not clear enough.

I have 2 stroke and 4 stroke utility engines, I love and use them both, each has it's own merits.

So let me reword my first post, it should read:

"Chinese HT kits are junk"

I will take heat for this statement too, but I am not the only one having or expressing such an opinion. LOL

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
I wouldn't call the HT engines I've yet to run into internal problem with these engine. But everything else that cam with the kit is junk, the chain is garbage my broke not even 100km into it and that got stuck on the frame and wrecked my engine causing it to go out of timing and destroying the bearing in the crank all though I wasn't aware at first that it broke the engine this happen over a 4 week period. the spark plug is junk and the boot as well, motor mount bolts are junk, exhaust gasket's junk, fuel filter is good along with the gas tank carb simple is better that's my take on HT 2 stroke.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I will say I don't like this thread, there's really no comparing the two beyond what was already said and unless someone can come up with hard numbers - it's sure to be another tiresome chevy/ford argument with ruffled feathers.

Prove me wrong please.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have 2 stroke and 4 stroke utility engines, I love and use them both, each has it's own merits.
Personally, I think that sums it up well. The 2 smoker kit is very well designed and work greats for what it is. A sexy weed whacker engine with a clutch with less then desirable components in need of being made from stouter materials . The 4 stroke is an awesome engine in need of a better GB. EZM has solved that. Others are working on it as well.

.flg.

Side note; Not doing the shameless self promoting thing or bragging, but Tyerslider and I are working on a 4 smoker drive train. The front cover is clear plastic so you can see the workings. Kinda steam-punk meets old world lookin' Really coming out cool. (might just be proud Poppa syndrome so feel free to ignore me)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A clear cover?!? Suh-Weet! I love the clear human models where you can see the gizzards and such inside!
Seriously, I think the clear-box is an awesome idea.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A clear cover?!? Suh-Weet! I love the clear human models where you can see the gizzards and such inside!
Seriously, I think the clear-box is an awesome idea.
lol, I built one of those when I was little and it freaked me out. I didn't think the stomic could work.

Gonna start a thread on the GB and kit. TS did some amazing stuff. The thing is art. My design had an inherent flaw that would work but only for so long.

Engler

Nov 27, 2009
Florida
I wouldn't call the HT engines I've yet to run into internal problem with these engine. But everything else that cam with the kit is junk, the chain is garbage my broke not even 100km into it and that got stuck on the frame and wrecked my engine causing it to go out of timing and destroying the bearing in the crank all though I wasn't aware at first that it broke the engine this happen over a 4 week period. the spark plug is junk and the boot as well, motor mount bolts are junk, exhaust gasket's junk, fuel filter is good along with the gas tank carb simple is better that's my take on HT 2 stroke.
I red many threads like this on this and the other forum, it's funny if someone expresses a negative opinion about particular product, people who own this product, in this case HT kit take personal offense.

I have nothing against HT kits, in fact everybody who owns,experienced HT and still likes it, should buy good supply of them until they can.

On the other hand an average new potential MB enthusiast should be HONESTLY informed what to expect from whatever set-up he or she buys.

That's why those people come to the forums, they expect honest info and unbiased advice.

It is not comparing Ford to a Chevy, it's more like comparing Ford Pinto or Yugo to a Cadillac.

People who depend on MB as the only transportation to get the to work etc. should be aware that HT is not their best bet, since they may lose their job being late too often due to popping bolts, chains falling off and all unexpected "attractions" HT kit will deliver to somebody if one is not aware what HT kit can throw at them any time.

Somebody in need of dependable transportation relying or limited to MB concept should be be informed that they need to consider more costly but more reliable and low maintenance alternatives than HT kit.

After all quality MB set-up while cost more than HT but is still many times cheaper than a used car.

The old and proven saying "You got what you paid for" always works if tried.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I red many threads like this on this and the other forum, it's funny if someone expresses a negative opinion about particular product, people who own this product, in this case HT kit take personal offense.

I have nothing against HT kits, in fact everybody who owns,experienced HT and still likes it, should buy good supply of them until they can.

On the other hand an average new potential MB enthusiast should be HONESTLY informed what to expect from whatever set-up he or she buys.

That's why those people come to the forums, they expect honest info and unbiased advice.

It is not comparing Ford to a Chevy, it's more like comparing Ford Pinto or Yugo to a Cadillac.

People who depend on MB as the only transportation to get the to work etc. should be aware that HT is not their best bet, since they may lose their job being late too often due to popping bolts, chains falling off and all unexpected "attractions" HT kit will deliver to somebody if one is not aware what HT kit can throw at them any time.

Somebody in need of dependable transportation relying or limited to MB concept should be be informed that they need to consider more costly but more reliable and low maintenance alternatives than HT kit.

After all quality MB set-up while cost more than HT but is still many times cheaper than a used car.

The old and proven saying "You got what you paid for" always works if tried.
To a very large extent that's true, tempered with the realization that due to the low cost of the HTs in particular there is much in the way of failure that can be contributed directly to operator error and inexperience. Many of the components included with the kit are of a low quality and shouldn't be used - anyone that's played a bit with engines before would realize this and "upgrade" what's necessary, not an expensive proposition if you recognize it in the first place.

The engine itself is well worth the price, treated properly there have been many happily reporting both high mileage and reliability. Yet again that very price results in a hugely disproportionate ratio of 2 strokes vs four and those that would spend the extra for a 4 stroke are more likely to treat it right... there are thousands that a HT is their first engine with the learning curve you would expect.

I would never give someone a Cadillac as a first car... actually that's not a bad comparison - Cadillacs being overpriced and overly complicated in the name of convenience lol, but anyway - almost every problem commonly complained of here is through a simple misunderstanding of some engine basics. No - I certainly don't think the HTs can compare with even your basic Honda two stroke, yes there are "lemons" and shysters, but on the other hand I wouldn't call them "junk" either.

My primary dispute isn't the tired old horse of "2 vs 4" or even the "quality" differences between knockoffs - simply waltzing into a thread and stating "junk" with no substantiation or even clarification on your opinion I can only see as an attempt to instigate - why else even bother to type it? This last post at least had something to say.

This forum is dedicated to "HONESTLY informed(ing) what to expect from whatever set-up he or she buys." There are entire subforums and hundreds of threads discussing little else... with a lot more in-depth detail than a simple "junk". Should you choose to not bother explaining - why yes, it is an insult. Should you actually say why - now you're "informing".

Last edited:

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I just went with a Dax 70cc and I haven't had any of the common issues that people usually have. None of my bolts have had any issues and in the end my chain has been fine. The engine produces fine power fairly reliably so I don't really know why people complain about these engines so much. I only have about 100 miles on my engine but so far it has worked reasonably well for what I spent.

I did get some basic upgrades like NGK plug and a fuel filter so those might have helped. I have also made sure to tighten my head bolts and all of the other bolts on the engine before every ride and I have found them loose every once in a while so I do recommend doing this at least until the engine breaks in.

Other than that, these 2 stroke engines rule.