Cheapest build

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I'd kinda like to do a cheapest build contest...KISS bike!
1. Consumables like fuel oil and grease do not factor in build.
2. Stuff like replacement bolts does count.
3. Be honest there is no prize to win but accomplishment.
4. Cost of bike does factor including tires or anything else you have to do to make it street worthy.
5. I'm gonna post this on another site as I think it will generate good will.

Here's my cheap build so far:

$25 for a nice light Peugoet mointain bike at flea market (nice to give sources for your cheap build)

$15.92 for brake parts and 2 spare master links from niagaracycle.com including the $2.90 for shipping

$109.00 for 48cc kit from Zoombicycle.com

$15.00 for 2 cans of high temp black glossy engine paint and a can of clearcoat from Wal-Mart

$6 for grinding tools from pawn shop and another $2 for a grindstone bit at the auto parts store as the rear sprocket was in need of opening wider to fit the bearing cage. (Axle?)

Grand total: $172.94

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I did not keep up with my cost on my recumbent friction drive build but I will try to remember. The bike cost me about 50$ to build years ago. The motor was free. I spent about 35$ on bolts, spring and so on. The welding on the aluminum motor mount was 15$. Call it 125$ cause I am sure I forgot some stuff.
Elmo

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I'd kinda like to do a cheapest build contest...KISS bike!
1. Consumables like fuel oil and grease do not factor in build.
2. Stuff like replacement bolts does count.
3. Be honest there is no prize to win but accomplishment.
4. Cost of bike does factor including tires or anything else you have to do to make it street worthy.
5. I'm gonna post this on another site as I think it will generate good will.

Here's my cheap build so far:

$25 for a nice light Peugoet mointain bike at flea market (nice to give sources for your cheap build)

$15.92 for brake parts and 2 spare master links from niagaracycle.com including the $2.90 for shipping

$109.00 for 48cc kit from Zoombicycle.com

$15.00 for 2 cans of high temp black glossy engine paint and a can of clearcoat from Wal-Mart

$6 for grinding tools from pawn shop and another $2 for a grindstone bit at the auto parts store as the rear sprocket was in need of opening wider to fit the bearing cage. (Axle?)

Grand total: $172.94

Might you include a snap of the build ?......

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

Motor Boys

Nov 6, 2009
Cambridge
This is a pretty cool one, I got the silver bullit bike for $40 can. The engine kit was a used one I bought back off a trade in $10 can., rebuilt topend $40 can.,( about 1 hr of polish time) All in all The bike must have cost about $80 bucks in your US money. I got offered $500 can, for it 1 hr after I put it on the shop floor, SOLD!

Attachments

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
hmm 1 huffy 3 speed in trash free!!! and a 105$ bgf 80cc slant and away i go anything i used was already at home in the trash pile
the ballwarmer

steve Wilson

Dec 12, 2009
toronto
This is a pretty cool one, I got the silver bullit bike for $40 can. The engine kit was a used one I bought back off a trade in $10 can., rebuilt topend $40 can.,( about 1 hr of polish time) All in all The bike must have cost about $80 bucks in your US money. I got offered $500 can, for it 1 hr after I put it on the shop floor, SOLD!
where did you get the bike built for 40??

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
Bike: Free because it was a trade-in, valued at $99.
Motor: Limited Edition 49cc from Zoom, was about $130 IIRC.
-I changed out the bolts and spark plug, but those count as "consumables"...
Bike speedometer: $23
-Can of black paint and heat gun to remove ugly decals I already had.

So that totals to about $153...not bad at all :D

P.S: Prices are in Canadian dollars.

Last edited:

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
You're absolutely right my friend. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: my bike...with a motor and stuff.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
all my bikes come from the thrift shop. average cost is under ten bucks. We did a contest here once a junk yard build but it wasn't a big hit. The best I ever did was with weed whacker builds. those were dirt cheap.

E Bike builds now run about a hundred bucks I would think. Batteries not included...

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
My build wasn't as cheap as some of these, but still pretty cheap. The bike cost $35 used at my favorite bike shop, the motor kit was $125 from zoombicycles, the wheels and tires came off my Giant, the rear reflector from an old Centurion, and the seat was $15 used. I also got some free scrap leather that I used to pad the motor and tank mounts.

So not counting the cost of the drill I had to buy, which was only $25 from a pawn shop, and the bits for it, it cost me $175. Here's the thread I posted it in: http://motorbicycling.com/f15/my-first-bike-yay-9213.html