Chain gets stuck in engine drive sprocket.

GoldenMotor.com
The #415 chain supplied with my Gasbike GT80 kit gets stuck in the engine drive sprocket. To get it loose I have to drive it out with a hammer and dowel rod. The sprocket is a 10 tooth. The chain is not contacting any part of the engine case and the cover is off. This happens when I rotate the engine gear with a flat blade screwdriver and try to thread the chain on the drive sprocket. The chain works fine on the rear wheel sprocket.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited:

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Does this occur when you start the engine? I've experienced this with certain 10T sprockets when the chain doesn't have enough tension.

Others have suggested filing the leading-edge points on these sprockets when thit problem pops up. I've never tried that though.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If I'm understanding correctly your problem is when you're installing the chain?

The chain will bind if the first link being fed through doesn't lay fat against the sprocket teeth. It will bunch up and bind against the engine case. Do Not hammer on it. You'll break the aluminum casting of the engine.

Try tying a piece of string to the first link of the chain and pulling the chain through as you feed it in and rotating the sprocket with a screwdriver. You can also remove the spark plug to reduce the resistance while rotating the sprocket. If you remove the clutch actuator cover installing the chain is much easier.

Remember that you want only 1/2" to 3/4" of slack in the chain after it is installed. A loose chain will bunch up /bind on the drive sprocket.

Good luck.

Tom